how to render for external denoise tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to render for external denoise tool

hello. i'm trying to figure out how to render out an animation sequence and use the external denoise tool for frame blending. i'm also trying to use .exr format.

i've read that going into the V-Ray tab, checking V-Ray raw image file and saving the file as an .exr with the following checked: EXR 32-bit output | Deep EXR | Dot-deliminted frame number is the best way to get all render elements for denoise into 1 multi-layer .exr file.

when i do that, and do not use the Save File in the Render Setup Common Tab, i get a message that i'm about to render a sequence without saving files.

after the 1st frame is rendered, no .exr file appears in my folder (or 2nd frame 3rd etc)

any thoughts?
    thanks

Originally posted by s_gru View Post
    ...when i do that, and do not use the Save File in the Render Setup Common Tab, i get a message that i'm about to render a sequence without saving files.
    That's normal and the message should be ignored. However, frames should be correctly saved. Maybe something else is going on. Does the rendering continue after the first frame? Maybe you could simplify the file and attach it here?

Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hmm, it should work just fine in the way you set it up.
      You could post a blank scene with those settings you have and maybe we can
      see if something's not quite right in the setup
      https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

this morning i opened the file and the v-ray raw image file had nothing in the path. i still had save file checked from the common tab. then i added a save file name/path in v-ray raw image file and rendered. i got this warning in the log: Multiple simultaneous render output not supported but, i got two outputs - one with the dot before the frame number and one without.

i'm also noticing that the one with the dot in the name, has all (or what i think to be all) the denoise elements and the file without the dot in the name has an RGB and A.

the file with the dot in the name won't denoise via the vdenoise tool. the new file created with denoise appended to the name is grainy but has all the same render element layers (see attached).

i'll try to save out a copy right now and attach.
        Attached Files

Comment

ok here's the file
          Attached Files

Comment

also, as far as i can tell, the old documentation says to set the max frame buffer render size to like 100 x 100 something small, and set the size in the 'frame buffer" rollout on the V-Ray tab. i'm guessing that is in fact old documentation?

Comment

Thanks.

Having the box for deepEXR ticked results in no frames being saved when EXR is the file type.
              There is specific info on this in the docs https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAX/Deep+Output+Support, so as long as you don't need it then it'll work as expected as
              long as you just have a path in that dialogue and remember to turn off the standard one.

Maybe that deepEXR option should be unavailable if EXR is chosen as the output, to avoid confusion.

Comment

i got this warning in the log: Multiple simultaneous render output not supported but, i got two outputs - one with the dot before the frame number and one without.

i'm also noticing that the one with the dot in the name, has all (or what i think to be all) the denoise elements and the file without the dot in the name has an RGB and A.

the file with the dot in the name won't denoise via the vdenoise tool. the new file created with denoise appended to the name is grainy but has all the same render element layers (see attached).

i'll try to save out a copy right now and attach.
                First of all, we are aware of the warning (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-11840). It affects the .vrscene export (which V-Ray GPU utilizes). The output seems to be correct, however.
                Second, the options in the V-Ray Raw image file and Separate render channels menus affect only their respective output. Otherwise, the two files you've output are the Raw (multi-channeled) and Separate (multiple single-channeled) files.

also, as far as i can tell, the old documentation says to set the max frame buffer render size to like 100 x 100 something small, and set the size in the 'frame buffer" rollout on the V-Ray tab. i'm guessing that is in fact old documentation?
                As noted in the docs, due to technical reasons, the 3ds Max frame buffer is always created. To save up on memory we recommend setting a low resolution the Common tab. However, since you require multi-channeled files (and they are accessable only through the V-Ray output), you should disable the 3ds Max native "Save file". Note that you will get a warning message about it, which you should ignore.
                As for the DeepEXR - if you do not plan to do deep compositing, I suggest you disable the option. The option writes additional info (another channel - Z) and will make files larger and rendering slower.

Basically - save the image through the V-Ray Raw Image output with the VRayDenoiser elements and denoise the file through vdenoise.exe.

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
                  Having the box for deepEXR ticked results in no frames being saved when EXR is the file type.
                  I think this happens because the V-Ray raw image format path is empty. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Comment

I definitely had a file name path included.
                    The only change I made was to tick/untick the deepexr box,...ticked got nothing while unticked wrote the files, when saving as .exr as opposed to vrimg.

I'm in the middle of something but will check again later just to be sure

Comment

ha great! i unchecked the deep option and i'm getting the warning (expected) but also the files are saving! thanks! and from the size of them, looks like they are getting all the layers too. thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                      X