Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPU/RTX/IPR. Bump set to 100 in Vray Mat, but 0 in Vray Normal Map. Still render's bump. Is this expected behaviour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU/RTX/IPR. Bump set to 100 in Vray Mat, but 0 in Vray Normal Map. Still render's bump. Is this expected behaviour?

Vray 6 Hotfix 2. Happens after a restart of IPR too

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	628.2 KB ID:	1178696 Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	820.4 KB ID:	1178695

Checked CPU and this doesn't happen

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	778.9 KB ID:	1178698
    Last edited by DanSHP; 21-04-2023, 08:07 AM.

Works as expected on my end. Mind if you simplify and attach the scene so we can take a look?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

After further tests this seems to be an issue with Tri-PlanarTex in GPU. When it is not used there is no problem. There are some notes in the docs regarding this, which I wasn't aware of.

Notes
      • When using V-Ray GPU, the VRayTriplanarTex works fine for bump with bitmaps only. If other maps are incorporated in it, then you have to add a VRayColor2Bump map directly in the bump slot of the material (and pass the VRayTriplanarTex through it) to make it work properly.
      • If you wish to use a VRayNormalMap with VRayTriplanarTex in a material, assign the VRayNormalMap to the VRayTriplanarTex Texture map slot and then use the VRayTriplanarTex in your material. Linking in the other direction is not recommended.
      For clarity/sanity are you able to mock up the correct setup in slate? I'm not even sure the above applies to my situation or if this is a bug.
      Essentially, I'm trying to add a fine relief to a Quixel asset, in combination with the assets existing normal map! See attached image for my current set up. Note, TriplanarTex is unlinked, this was originally connected to the 'mapping source' for the bump map.

Appreciate it
      Thanks.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Test.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.6 KB ID:	1178987

Comment

Originally posted by DanSHP View Post
        If you wish to use a VRayNormalMap with VRayTriplanarTex in a material, assign the VRayNormalMap to the VRayTriplanarTex Texture map slot and then use the VRayTriplanarTex in your material.
        Basically, plug the VRayNormalMap into the VRayTriplanarMap, which then goes into the bump slot of a VRayMtl. If you insist to use the VRayTriplanar as a mapping source, you could create a VRayBumpMtl and plug the bump texture there instead of the VRayNormalMap.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Of course! I use bump material all the time and didn't think of this for some reason. So is bump with triplanar map not working correctly in GPU?

Comment

Working...
          X