Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drone Distrorted Photography "inception effect"....how?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone Distrorted Photography "inception effect"....how?!

I was wondering if anyone had tried or thought of a way to produce photography like this with VRay. It seems like it could be fully automated.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aydin-Buyuktas-Burlington-Northern-and-Santa-Fe-rail-yard.jpg?resize=562,785.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	1180175

The trick is explained here:
    "Droneception"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLOvKCKh2g

Seems like it can definitely be done cleanly with VRAY, just a matter of how to automated "slice" rendering as camera moves.
    Curious if anyone can advise.
    -Joel E
    https://www.biglittlepictures.com

Railclone springs to mind, if it's literally something like your example.
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Yeah i have the railyard made with railclone already. I was hoping to find a way to mimic the render distortion effect, using a non-distorted scene. The way the camera moves and captures in the drone footage should be repeatable, but with a precision process. This would allow this effect to be acheivable in any scene. Ideally, it'd be a script. Seems very possible to determine Number of slices that you can apply to a camera move and final output size and let the script do render slices for you and then you can stich them in photoshop. It may even be possible to have the script do render slices as render region, so the final image is actually compiled right in the VRFB. I am going to dig and will report back if i can get this working or if i find a semi-automated solution.
      -Joel E

Comment

basically like a very slow slot shutter? Old press cameras had shutters like this, you could get interesting effects. The thin slot would pass over the film and expost the top of the film before it exposed the bottom of the film.
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

Like a Widelux… (that hada horizontal scanning shutter, though)

This could possibly be done with a rolling shutter and a camera that makes the entire move between two frames. (Unless the rolling shutter speed can be greater than one frame). I have not tried. Might not be able to do this without getting a motion blurred image, though.

Otherwise you can render an animation with no motion blur and then use something like the Trails tool in Fusion (an accumulation buffer) through a moving slit mask to take each scan line from a different point in time… say one line per frame.

Would be a fun thing to try if I had any time.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
            Like a Widelux… (that hada horizontal scanning shutter, though)

This could possibly be done with a rolling shutter and a camera that makes the entire move between two frames. (Unless the rolling shutter speed can be greater than one frame). I have not tried. Might not be able to do this without getting a motion blurred image, though.

Otherwise you can render an animation with no motion blur and then use something like the Trails tool in Fusion (an accumulation buffer) through a moving slit mask to take each scan line from a different point in time… say one line per frame.
            Yes it does work. Super quick test with some flat bars and an animated camera from level to top down. Shutter is 1/200 and rolling shutter set to 1sec. Even though MB is on (it has to be for rolling shutter to be enabled) there doesn't seem to be any. The math between the frame rate, shutter, and rolling shutter makes my brain hurt and doesn't really seem like it should work, but it does.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	277.8 KB ID:	1180337
            rolling shutter.zip
            Attached Files
            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

That is pretty freaking cool! I am impressed that it worked so well. I do wonder if a texture on the shapes would be motion blurred or not.

Comment

No, it's not blurred.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	156
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	1180342
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Very cool indeed. Neat that you can set rolling shutter longer than the exposure time. (It sounds like. I haven’t looked at your scene yet)

Comment

I saw the scene (some bad Ace of Bass reference there...)

So I was wrong. The Rolling shutter is just over the one frame. Still very cool.

Comment

there's also ways to do this in Nuke, there's some gizmos on Nukepedia that let you time warp footage based on a mask. You could run a frame sequence of the camera making it's move, and then use a ramp from top to bottom to adjust the time, and you should get the same effect, but with more control. you could change the gamma/contrast on the ramp. you can get some trippy effects with that, as you could animate the mask.
                      www.DanielBuck.net - www.My46Willys.com - www.33Chevy.net - www.DNSFail.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing, this is super interesting!
                        -Joel E

Comment

Working...
                        X