How can I make this render faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make this render faster?

So now that I got the perfect materials and lighting I found out that I've somehow increased to 2.5 hours per frame (from 50min). Since I will be doing a lot of animations I need to figure out how to get the time down. Here is an example of the work.

The teeth, bone, and gums are all vray materials with both refraction and reflection. Here are the settings for the material for the teeth.

Also note that the time includes rendering to fields since all of my animations must go to NTSC video. Here are the vray render settings.

Thanks for helping.

HSph subd of 70 seems quite high
    what are your qmc settings? Do you use 1.47.03? If so, try light irradiance/lightcache.

What kind of lights are used? if vraylights, store with irr can speed things up.

Maybe you should fake the transparency, but I assume that's not the first thing you want.

If your lights/objects are not moving, you can use lightcache in animation mode, and multiframe incremental for irradiance. That will certainly speed up.
    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

I am using .03, and I've tried lightcache but in previous trials with it I had a lot of problems with it and animation.

My QMC settings are:

I'm using vray light and I will try the store irr setting, as well as drop the HSph to 50 to see what happens.

Unfortunately everything will be moving so I have to use single frame.

Comment

your qmc settings are default and are pretty much overkill these days. You can raise those some with little to no change in quality. Dont ask what settings are best, because they fluctuate with differing scenes.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by ksgfx
          I'm using vray light and I will try the store irr setting, as well as drop the HSph to 50 to see what happens.
          Better start even lower (like 30) and see if the quality is acceptable. It could well be.
          You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

I wouldn't want to raise all of the QMC settings though right? Only the adaptive amount and noise maybe? I'm afraid I've only been using v-ray for a few months so I'm still figuring out what everything does.

Comment

ya thats what i was referring to sorry.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

i cant really add much that havent been said already ...but ive heard that its not really necessary to render to fields in max as this can be done in post. Dont know if it holds or if its gonna save you any time what so ever.

Comment

If you leave store with ir map unchecked, you can get away with much lower IR map settings because most of the lighting will be computed by the direct light anyway. With the store option turned on all shadows are computed with ir map settings so for your animation you would need good ir map settings.

Have you tried translucency for the teeth? I found that it is usually much faster than using glossy refraction only.
                  Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Try more like 15-20 samples on your vray light.

Make sure you read up on using light cache for animation. It will work better in the end.

Yes - don't render to fields. Most video editing software can do this for you now. If you really want to be prepared - render 60 fps so that you can interpolate it back into fields if necessary. This way you have a clean version for other formats as well.

Oh - sample look up = switch to (very good) setting. Bet you won't notice a difference in animation.
                    www.studio2a.co

Comment

Working...
                    X