Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the lastest Window update fix the slowdowns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the lastest Window update fix the slowdowns?

After updated Window 10 today with the latest cumulative update it seems to have fixed the slowdowns with Threadrippers, making the systems much more responsive when rendering or using IPR.

Anyone else notice this?

I always suspected it was a Windows update that slowed them down to begin with, as I had no problems before late last year.

Which cumulative update do you mean? I didn't have one in the latest week. IPR I rarely use due to the performance being almost just as slow as starting and stopping a new render. Apart from when you're doing a single car or something.

edit: but I have a lot of extreme system slow downs with more than one 3ds max instance open though. Did you experience that? Even with latest updates it's still there.
    Last edited by Vizioen; 20-05-2023, 02:12 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

It was cumulative update for 22H2. I am not on that machine to dig through and find more details though. I believe it was the one that came out on the first Tuesday in May. (We have the auto update crap disabled of course.)

Yes, we get slowdowns with multiple instances of Max, but if you minimize the other instances it is negligible. If you leave them in view behind another Max instance than the slowdown can sometimes be profound. I don't think this update solved that, though. Can't say I have specifically tested that because I am in the habit of minimizing the other Max (also keep you from clicking on the wrong material editor on a second monitor and making changes to the wrong scene.. no, never done that...).

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
        It was cumulative update for 22H2. I am not on that machine to dig through and find more details though. I believe it was the one that came out on the first Tuesday in May. (We have the auto update crap disabled of course.)

Yes, we get slowdowns with multiple instances of Max, but if you minimize the other instances it is negligible. If you leave them in view behind another Max instance than the slowdown can sometimes be profound. I don't think this update solved that, though. Can't say I have specifically tested that because I am in the habit of minimizing the other Max (also keep you from clicking on the wrong material editor on a second monitor and making changes to the wrong scene.. no, never done that...).
        Haha that last part got me. Hmm interesting I'll try and minimize my Maxes from now on, but that makes it all even weirder.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Minimizing makes all the difference. Occasionally without it minimized it might take 30sec or a minute to cancel IPR, which is absurd. Keep the others minimized and it has almost no effect (unless one of the BG Max processes gets into that state where it sits there and grinds on one or two cores continuously for no reason, even in the BG).

The update I just installed was KB5026361 Cumulative update for 22H2

​

Comment

Minimizing makes all the difference. Occasionally without it minimized it might take 30sec or a minute to cancel IPR, which is absurd. Keep the others minimized and it has almost no effect (unless one of the BG Max processes gets into that state where it sits there and grinds on one or two cores continuously for no reason, even in the BG).

The update I just installed was KB5026361 Cumulative update for 22H2

​
            Yeah I have that one installed already. Will try some IPR to see if it's usable now.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

listening attentively...
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Would be very cool if those suffering from this lag could fill out the form here:
                https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...t/true#M207638
                James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Then, have you tried the Qt env var trick?
                  https://www.autodesk.com/support/tec...core-CPUs.html

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post

Then, have you tried the Qt env var trick?
                    https://www.autodesk.com/support/tec...core-CPUs.html
                    Yes, I should mention we do have that set up. Didn’t really notice any change when we did it, though.

Comment

No this trick hasn't worked for me since it was described.
                      James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                      Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Working...
                      X