Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray not loading on render farm with environment variables

Hi there,

We have been testing loading vray from a network location by setting environment variables for workstations which works great. However I have not been able to get render nodes on the farm to successfully load vray in this way. They simply load max, ignoring the vray environment variables and then fail due to the missing plugins (vray).

If I log into one of the render nodes and launch max, vray loads fine, its just on jobs through the farm that it doesnt load.

There is obviously something I am overlooking but have ran out of ideas.

Thanks in advance

What render controller? It sounds like maybe the render controller makes a clean environment and only passes its own environment vars, rather than inheriting the user's vars or machine's vars. Perhaps your controller has a place to set these vars (like deadline does).

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
      What render controller? It sounds like maybe the render controller makes a clean environment and only passes its own environment vars, rather than inheriting the user's vars or machine's vars. Perhaps your controller has a place to set these vars (like deadline does).
      Hey,

We are using Deadline 10. Should I be looking in the Submission params or in Monitor for the plugin details?

Appreciate the help!

Comment

One thing that is weird is that my workstation which is also setup to load vray via environment vars picks up jobs through Deadline as a Worker and renders them fine. There must be a key difference between my workstation and how the render nodes are configured.

Comment

Note I have not done what you are trying to do... but I would look here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	81
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1183551​

And reference these docs:

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/pr...viro-ref-label

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/pr...vironment.html

It looks like if you set up your environment variables in your client (max workstation) machine then you could just Include Current Environment With Submission.

But this would defeat the ability to set a different environment for each worker machine (render node). Not sure if you need that.

Let us know how this works.

If you have trouble the Thinkbox support folks are actually very good.

Comment

Thanks for this, much appreciated!

Comment

Well, thank me after it works. I am just guessing

Comment

I have actually just figured out why it wasnt working.

I set the env vars on the render nodes with deadline already running and had to relaunch it for it to recognize them.

rooky mistake

Comment

Ha! Occam has a sharp razor! Glad you got it working.
                  Last edited by Joelaff; 15-06-2023, 08:43 AM.

Comment

It is often the way!

Comment

Working...
                    X