Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renderfarm with Intel & AMD's

Let me ask a "stoopid" question here.

I heard form a FR "freind" that when building a renderfarm you have to go with all Intels or all AMD's. If not the two processors render scenes/buckets slightly differently. Is that an issue with Vray?

right now my office has all Intels, but I wanted to mix in some AMD's.
    Bret

Theoretically (and it happened moreso in the past than with recent generations of chips) because of differing floating point operations and random number generators, you could have differences in procedural textures that involved random generation.

However, I have never ever seen it, and I've been running a mixed farm for several years now.

Comment

I have a mix in my farm, and there is no problem that I can see.

Tony

Comment

That's good to know, thanks for the quick response.
        After following Percy's thread on benchmarking, its tempting to look into the X2's, I just don't know if I have the time or patience to figure out the overclocking.
        Bret

Comment

since I only did some real simple overclocking, it really wasn't too bad. I used a utility that came with my motherboard to determine what cpu multiplier was stable, then just rebooted into BIOS and made the changes. easy as pie!

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

do it you wont be disappointed!!

Comment

percy, what was that overclocking app you used?
              Chris Jackson
              Shiftmedia
              www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

its called uGURU i think...came with my Abit mobo.... which is cool so its specifically designed for my mobo...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

X2! X2!

Can't beat it for the money.
                  No probs here.
                  www.studio2a.co

Comment

I must say i have never witnessed such a surge of CPU buying quite like what happened when the X2 came out.

They really are great arnt they

Comment

The x2's are really the first chips that are exactly what we needed and for a fair price. I'm a happy camper

Now, max and vray 64bit is all thats left to really make everything come together for us. I can't wait!!!!!

Tony

Comment

I have p3's, p4's, Xeons and Opetrons in my farm.

No problems at all.
                        www.rayduststudios.com

Comment

Yea my farm has AMD and Intel Critters in it also and so far so good for the last few years.

-dave
                          Cheers,
                          -dave
                          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

all ive got is a dual xeon, a dual amd2600+MP and a dual 64bit opteron and all 3 play nice together

---------------------------------------------------
                            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

We indeed had some problems with our mixed renderfarm. We have some older Athlons, P4 and a XEON. In the past we had some trouble with flickering shadows and different brightness.

Most of those issues have been detected while rendering with max scanline renderer. But I think we even had some trouble with vray.
                              We then decided to group our PCs in the Render Qeue. So we have a group of Intels and a group of AMDs. We can direct different scenes to different groups.

If I had to build up a render farm today I would make a decision between Intel and AMD at first and then build up the whole thing with CPUs of just one of both companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X