G-buffer - shadow issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-buffer - shadow issue

In a scene I'm working on, I'm needing to render out the shadows only. No big deal, or so I think. I'm using VRay's VFB, I have Shadow in output channels hilighted, and I made sure that my shadow casting/receiving materials are VRayMtls. GI is turned off, and all of the lights are VRay lights. Upon render the Shadow channel is blank. I turned on Self-Illumination (output channel) also to make sure it wasn't a g-buffer issue. The SI channel rendered out fine. I checked the Max properties and VRay properties on all objects in question but didn't find anything out of place.

So then I make a dummy scene with a plane, teapot, and 1 VRay light and confirm that all Frame Buffer, Global Switches, G-Buffer, and System settings are the same. The shadows render out fine in this scene.

Unfortunately I can't upload the scene. I can't figure out whether the issue is something extremely simple that I'm missing (wouldn't surprise me, lol) or if there's something conflicting with the g-buffer in my scene. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated
    Austin Watts
    Render Media

Blurring more than 20,000 cars since May, 2001.

Are you using a vray dome light in the scene?
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Nope, they're planes.
      Austin Watts
      Render Media

Comment

What kind of lights, shadows and materials are you using?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

All of the lights are VRay lights (plane), and the materials are VRayMtls--white diffuse, without reflections or refractions.

Sorry for the vagueness on the issue; I was hoping that someone had encountered something similar and could point me in the right direction. I'll see if I can upload a portion of the scene.

edit: Fixed it! It was a grouping issue. When deleting all excess objects in the scene I deleted the group gizmo and shadows started working just fine. I've noticed grouping having weird, "blocky" results with irradiance maps also. Is this a known issue, and is there anything I can do to avoid it in the future? Thanks for the assistance
          Austin Watts
          Render Media

Comment

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=10668 :P
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

lol, I missed the newest, most relevant thread

Thanks RErender :P
              Austin Watts
              Render Media

Comment

I still rely heavily on groups

Over 6 years of heavy use and only a small percent have gone bad, but they definitely do.
                Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

Working...
                X