specular troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• specular troubleshoot

What's going on with my glossiness map here?
    Top image is a close-up of a sphere illuminated by a single light. Middle image is what I get if I use a VRayHDRI map with a black and white jpeg in the glossiness slot of a VRayMtl.
    The bottom image is the same map in the diffuse slot for reference.

Why am I getting a kind of "find edges" effect?

Edit: Ok, I think I may not be understanding glossiness maps correctly. Can somebody point me to a good explanation please?

Click image for larger version  Name:	spec.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	1186303
    Last edited by mark_aldred; 16-07-2023, 09:57 AM.

Originally posted by mark_aldred View Post
    Why am I getting a kind of "find edges" effect?
    I presume it is because of the texture's anti-aliasing. In those spots, the glossiness is a middle color, meaning it should reflect light that is not exactly direct.

Edit: Ok, I think I may not be understanding glossiness maps correctly. Can somebody point me to a good explanation please?
    Have you checked the docs?

Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks.
      I'm still relatively new to PBR rendering. I think I need instead to mask the reflection then use Glossiness to break up the reflection on the reflecting part of the surface? I thought I'd just be able to knock the reflection out with black in the Glossiness map, but it seems not to work that way. I found this link that has what looks to be an explanation of the fringes ..

https://substance3d.adobe.com/tutori...r-guide-part-2

Click image for larger version

Name:	キャプチャ.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	1186344

Comment

I think I need instead to mask the reflection then use Glossiness to break up the reflection on the reflecting part of the surface? I thought I'd just be able to knock the reflection out with black in the Glossiness map, but it seems not to work that way.
        Exactly. A non-glossy reflection is still reflecting based on the chosen reflection color.

I found this link that has what looks to be an explanation of the fringes .
        Basically, the anti-aliasing I was referring to (interpolation between the glossy and non-glossy areas, which produces middle colors.

Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Got it.
          Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X