Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we track the total polycount of a scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we track the total polycount of a scene?

Just out of curiosity, can we read the total polycount in the stamp anywhere?
    I have a huge scene with tons of instances and scatters, and im just curious how much it amounts to.

Yes, the number of primitives equals the number of polygons in the scene. The number of primitives can be shown in the stamp layer in the VFB.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

hmm.. okay i thought it was that one, but the number seems low.

I got this scene (see attached)
      and it says 410.000.000 primitives.
      But each tree is roughly around 2 million polygons, and there is definitely more than 205 trees in there

Does it not count instanced geometry?
      is the 410m primitives unique polys?

Comment

Originally posted by Xntric View Post
        hmm.. okay i thought it was that one, but the number seems low.

I got this scene (see attached)
        and it says 410.000.000 primitives.
        But each tree is roughly around 2 million polygons, and there is definitely more than 205 trees in there

Does it not count instanced geometry?
        is the 410m primitives unique polys?
        Primitives are the number of internal V-Ray primitives used in rendering. It consists of a few primitive type categories, which you can check in the VFB, in the Stats rollout, under Primitives. There isn't a "Polygon count" per se, since V-Ray does not work with it, and in most cases, it is inapplicable (3ds Max Statistics also counts triangles).

The closest thing that might be useful is the triangle count, though not everything consists of triangles (i.e. hair). Note that in 3ds Max, the counting of instanced geometry triangles depends on the number of geo faces and the number of instances, so it only gets more complicated. Also, dynamic geometry, such as proxies, is counted as 1 primitive (it does not count its internal triangles).

What's the reason for needing this information?
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X