Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to save cryptomatte mask preview from VFB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save cryptomatte mask preview from VFB?

Hi,
    is there a way how to save cryptomatte preview directly from the VFB?
    when selecting objects with the picker, vfb generates black and white preview of the mask but i havent found a way how to save this. Might be actually a cool feature of jot already implemented.
    Any quick help woudl be much appreciated.
    cheers
    Martin
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Hi, thanks for posting. There is no way to save the Cryptomatte preview as output file. I don't see why you will need that. You have the Cryptomatte running in VFB and also you can save it with your output if you'd like to use it in post production.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I would like to have this option too.
      If you use Nuke, Fusion you can get any mask with a click of button, but in photoshop it is not that straight forward or optimal.
      Exporting all masks for every single object in project with thousands of objects /materials will make the file heavy and slow the process.
      I wrote a script few years back to use the object user properties to include masks for only certain objects, but that would only work if you know what you need before rendering which is usually not the case for last minute client request.
      Last edited by M.Max; 16-08-2023, 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling error
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
      Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
        Hi, thanks for posting. There is no way to save the Cryptomatte preview as output file. I don't see why you will need that. You have the Cryptomatte running in VFB and also you can save it with your output if you'd like to use it in post production.
        Thanks for "Autodesk kind of reply". I guess i will have to get used to it, guessing from what i ve been observing in the forum lately. Next step is VRAYChatGPT implemeted in the forum replies?

M.Max has written it perfectly. And if you stopped for a minute and think, you woudl come to this conclusion too. On the contrary i received a slap in the face response - well done.
        5 annual "Vantage scam" licenses i am paying each year is probably beyond your recognition. Roger that.

Isolating specific mask for late client requests, especially if you generate somethign like configurator content, would be a breeze if this option was present. Most of my clients work with Photoshop.
        I dont really undestad why rasterizing the content of the VFB and "copy to clipboard" woudl be such a NO WAY as you put it?

If you have a look in the wishlist posts (not section), this has been requested/liked many times over.

Took the liberty to spice up my reply because my "stupid" request wont get anywhere further anyway.

Bye

Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

A simple "Copy current VFB state to clipboard" option VFB option would suffice.
          (close to screenshot but always full resolution)

User can paste into image editor(Photoshop).​

That may be the behavior users expect rather than the current "Copy current channel to clipboard" option.

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
          oakcorp.net
          v-ray.jp

Comment

Thanks for the feedback PIXELBOX_SRO. I invite you to avoid spicing things up too much.

Please note that my initial post expresses my personal opinion based on my experience as a 3D Artist. By sharing it I was hoping for a productive discussion.

M.Max has written it perfectly. And if you stopped for a minute and think, you would come to this conclusion too
            I completely agree with you on that.
            M.Max has explained the matter in a constructive way but hours after my post. Please be a little more patient, we are processing multiple threads at a time so there may be slight delays in response.

I will discuss your request with the product management and will get back to the thread.
            Last edited by vladimir_krastev; 16-08-2023, 05:16 AM.
            Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Definately would like this feature.
              e: info@adriandenne.com
              w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

Hi all. I've looked into this issue with our devs.
                Is it good enough for all involved in the discussion: when you press Ctrl+C it should copy the current VFB state to the clipboard? This will include the image as you see it, without ignoring the masks. Of course, you will have to check "Show preview when selected" in the mask of the specific layer. Another option would be to have a dedicated UI button somewhere that can skip "Show preview when selected", but it could make the UI more complicated.
                Please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by dimitar_panayotov View Post
                  Hi all. I've looked into this issue with our devs.
                  Is it good enough for all involved in the discussion: when you press Ctrl+C it should copy the current VFB state to the clipboard? This will include the image as you see it, without ignoring the masks. Of course, you will have to check "Show preview when selected" in the mask of the specific layer. Another option would be to have a dedicated UI button somewhere that can skip "Show preview when selected", but it could make the UI more complicated.
                  Please let us know.
                  The first option with Ctrl+C to copy the current VFB state would be enough for me here .
                  Thanks for looking into this.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------
                  Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
                  Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

As for now. Here's a workaround. You can do it by creating 2 layers:

1 black solid on top of everything else
                    1 white solid (above the black solid) (with the cryptomatte mask you need), no need to put it on preview only.

As for the copy to clipboard, hopefully implementing it, will fix the bugs we've been dealing with in the last 2+ years.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Currently, Photoshop can read Cryptomatte masks, by dividing the elements into separate masks. To do so, you need an EXR-IO plug-in. It's a solution. Nevertheless, it's quite tricky with bigger scenes, because there might be hundreds of layers.
                      Ok, so far copy to clipboard is leading.
                      Let's wait a couple of more people to vote and I will register an issue in our system.
                      Thank you, everyone, for sharing your thoughts.
                      Last edited by dimitar_panayotov; 17-08-2023, 01:48 AM.

Comment

I think copy to clipboard should indeed be working as, what you see in the VFB, is what you are copying to the clipboard.

So it might need a rewrite here and there. Because as for now, and as reported in some other threads already, there are some problems (bugs) with it. As in, it doesn't always apply the tonemapping or CC, or it applies an alpha mask (white background all of a sudden), out of nowhere.
                        A.

---------------------
                        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Since there is no more voting, I will consider this as a final solution: copy the current VFB state to the clipboard. Thanks, everyone.
                          The issue is registered under VMAX-13544

Comment

I hope it will be implemented in the next update!

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
                            oakcorp.net
                            v-ray.jp

Comment

+1 on that. And copy to clipboard is enought I think, no need another UI button.
                              AMD TR 7980X, 256GB DDR5, GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, Win 10 Pro
                              ---------------------------
                              2D | 3D | web | video
                              jiri.matys@gmail.com
                              ---------------------------
                              https://gumroad.com/jirimatys
                              https://www.artstation.com/jiri_matys
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAv...Rq9X_wxwPX-0tg
                              https://www.instagram.com/jiri.matys_cgi/
                              https://www.behance.net/Jiri_Matys
                              https://cz.linkedin.com/in/jiří-matys-195a41a0

Comment

Working...
                              X