Efficient ragged book pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficient ragged book pages

Anybody have any tricks for dealing with pages of a storybook that need to have ragged edges? The pages need to animate slowly-- flipping to the next page. Each page need to have a unique raggedness to it, and the pages need to have thickness.

Clip maps textures won't let me have thickness-- unless somebody has a work around for that?

Thick pages with modeled-in ragged edges would be pretty heavy for animation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

... there was this displacement technique, where you can define the depth and you can set the cutoff range so you have a holes and thickness. Maybe one way. so you don´ t need to worry with heavy geometry.
    Saw once that a kind of lace doilies has been made like this and it was looking pretty cool.

Comment

I know I can do that with like an inset copy of the outer edge shape, and displace to add an edge, but when I do that it does not have a back. It becomes more like a bottle cap, where the outer edge is extruded downwards, but the back of the page is open-- has no geometry "cap." Was there a method to get that thickness so you could see it from the side and both sides are capped? I mean I could do an interactive Shell modifier applied last, but that sometimes has its own issues.

Oh, the cuttoff range... Interesting. I will have to play with this. This may have some promise. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
        I...but when I do that it does not have a back. It becomes more like a bottle cap, where the outer edge is extruded downwards, but the back of the page is open-- has no geometry "cap."
        Oh, the cuttoff range... Interesting. I will have to play with this. This may have some promise. Thanks.
        ah, I know what you mean I thought maybe so thin, it won´t be visible, but while slow moving... well, just in theory - never test ed it: double side materials may do something here? (Maybe you have to invert a map instance to play against the normal direction)
        Maybe laet know what you ended up with? =)

Comment

I don't know whether a variation on this would work for you but it ends up being fairly tweakable/randomised.
          This is just based on one base model based on a box with scale down edge thinning, subdivided to add jagged edges, retopologised/optimised to taste, then added noise seed to edges only.
          Attached Files
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

That looks very nice. What do you mean by “scale down edge thinning” ?? fixeighted

Thanks.

Comment

Yeah it looks ok...I actually did a little upgrade with some worn page textures I found, so that added a lot, but it's really down to what reference you have that you need to work towards.
              All I mean with the edges is to scale down the thickness at only the edges, where it'd be naturally thinner, like heavy grade watercolour paper (that I remember using years ago)...so it tapers to the ragged edge.
              I did play around with adding some fur for the odd fibre, which can look ok too. Options....
              https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Could you use vray fur on the edges to give it some frayed fibers?

Comment

Thanks for the info fixeighted

Yes, fur is definitely in the cards for a little roughness. Always works well for that, when used judiciously.

Comment

Working...
                  X