Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to export all materials, including those not applied, using Vrscene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to export all materials, including those not applied, using Vrscene?

I am not a 3ds Max user, and I want to collaborate with other software through Vrscene. However, I've noticed that when exporting a scene with Vrscene, it seems to only export materials already applied to models. Is it currently not possible to export unused materials, or are there other methods? Due to the large number of materials, I cannot apply them all to the models.

Hi, thanks for posting. Could explain your workflow in more details? What are the other software you want to collaborate with?
    You can export materials using the vrmat exporter but again if you do not have the materials applied in the scene you will have to pick them one by one from the material editor.
    Why do you need materials that are not applied over your geometry therefore not used? In any software it is best to keep your scene clean and not have unused materials in it.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
      Hi, thanks for posting. Could explain your workflow in more details? What are the other software you want to collaborate with?
      You can export materials using the vrmat exporter but again if you do not have the materials applied in the scene you will have to pick them one by one from the material editor.
      Why do you need materials that are not applied over your geometry therefore not used? In any software it is best to keep your scene clean and not have unused materials in it.
      I need to collaborate with Cinema 4D, and I require some V-Ray material libraries from 3ds Max. I want to convert them into a version compatible with Cinema 4D. Since there are a large number of materials, exporting each one individually would be a tremendous workload.

Comment

Hi, there is no way to export multiple materials without a script or without having them assigned to objects in the scene. A possible workaround is to use 3ds Max's Multi/Sub-Object material.
        Assign all of your materials to it's layers and then apply it to a box in the scene. After that use the vrmat exporter to export all materials from the scene.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-12-29_15-08-18.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1198627

This is the fastest way to export multiple materials without a script or 3rd party plugin that I could think of.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X