3ds max 2020 & Vray 6 under Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max 2020 & Vray 6 under Windows 11

I've been running 3ds max 2020 for a few years now while still upgrading V-Ray, under Windows 10 pro. So far, so good. I would like to upgrade my system but I'm nervous about switching to Windows 11. Is anyone able to confirm that 3ds max 2020 will run properly under Windows 11? Bonus points if you're actually doing it yourself

Windows 11 has janky permissions that I am constantly fighting. Things are getting better, but still sometimes a pain.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I have revert back to window 10 from window 11
      Best regards,
      Jackie Teh
      --

3ds max design 2023, V-Ray 6, Update 2.1 [6.20.07 build 32575]
      AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.40 GHz | 64GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
      Email: info@sporadicstudio.com
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/SporadicStudio

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
        Windows 11 has janky permissions that I am constantly fighting. Things are getting better, but still sometimes a pain.
        Hi Bobby, are you still running 2020? Are the issues related to 3ds max or just in general?

Comment

I am running 2024 and Windows 11. Things like downloading a zipped file, uncompressing it, and being unable to delete the folder without deleting its contents drive me crazy! MAX plugins don't get full rights, so you have to start over every time you use it (doesn't remember). I am unsure if it is a Windows or MAX thing, but my viewport freezes often. I can save and pull down menus, but the scene doesn't update in the viewport (I can't select anything).
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Things like downloading a zipped file, uncompressing it, and being unable to delete the folder without deleting its contents drive me crazy!
            You can't delete a folder with files in it? Please explain. Is this a known issue?

www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I am running 2024 and Windows 11. Things like downloading a zipped file, uncompressing it, and being unable to delete the folder without deleting its contents drive me crazy! MAX plugins don't get full rights, so you have to start over every time you use it (doesn't remember). I am unsure if it is a Windows or MAX thing, but my viewport freezes often. I can save and pull down menus, but the scene doesn't update in the viewport (I can't select anything).
              That all sounds frustrating for sure. I've run into similar-sounding problems when deleting folders in Windows 10 as well. The max plugin access is troubling. The viewport issues sound like Nvidia driver problems, but I imagine you've probably gone down that road already... weird.

Comment

Deleting folders is for sure a headache. Some delete, and others don't. TX files can't be deleted until you close MAX, even if they are deleted from the scene. With the plugin issue, it took about a year for the Vantage toolbar auto-delete to be resolved. I don't know how, but I can use it after a year. Now, Cosmos will default back to default every time I use it.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

TX files can't be deleted until you close MAX, even if they are deleted from the scene.
                  I encounter the tx issue issue in windows 10 as well so I'm not sure it's related to 11. Still, I've heard of enough issues, although minor, that I'm staying on windows 10 for as long as I can. Is there any point to updating if I don't have to? I mean, Microsoft still fully supports 10 at the moment so what's the advantage?

www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

No reason that I know of.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment