ACEScg workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACEScg workflow

Hello everyone. I would like to ask you, how should I set the textures in RGB color space parameters and Color space transfer function? I have for now this informations:

Normal, Roughness, Displacement, Bump - (rgb primaries) )Raw, (transfer function) none
    Albedo, SSS, Translucency - sRGB, sRGB
    HDRI - sRGB, none

So my question is, what about Reflection texture? I think it should be srgb, srgb because there is also color information? And what about some texture (for example roughness map) which I want to add using vrayCompText to the diffuse (for example for some variations in diffuse)? Or if I want to just desature basecolor and mix it with glossiness? Should I duplicate the basecolor and set it to Raw, none or sRGB, sRGB? Is it even important in this cases?

And I think my last question is about Display Correction in Frame Buffer. My settings are like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Snímka obrazovky 2024-02-02 081405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	1201197

Is it allright? I have standard monitor. But I think the result is very dark. If I set View transform to un-tone-mapped; it maybe looks better. How should I set View transform?

Thanks
    Last edited by martin_mittelmann; 02-02-2024, 01:27 AM.

Hi, thanks for posting.
    If you are using textures that are generated in sRGB colour space (99% of the commonly used assets) then you have to

switch V-Ray's color management to ACESsg
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2024-02-02_12-28-27.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1201234

load a ocio config file for the VFB display correction

Name:	3dsmax_2024-02-02_12-30-04.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1201235

There is a link to ocio configuration files in the documentation page about ACES workflow. Please read it carefully.
    If you are using aces color space textures then you have to switch them manually in the VRayBitmap node or use the "auto RGB primaries for VRayBitmap textures" checker (read the docs please).

Make sure each texture is specified with it's color space so the renderer will know how to manage it. The display correction corrects the image so that can be viewed from your sRGB display.

Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you Vladimir for the reply. Is necesary to set the ACEScg in Vray settings or if I am using 3ds max 2024 I can set it here:

Name:	Snímka obrazovky 2024-02-02 121454.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1201244

Comment

Hi,
        Is necessary to set the ACEScg in Vray settings or if I am using 3ds max 2024 I can set it here
        You can use the 3ds Max's color management as well. It will get you the same result. This is possible only for the 3ds Max 2024. For earlier version you will have to use V-Ray's one.
        The 3ds Max's actually switches V-Ray's color management to ACEScg automatically and loads the ocio config file for VFB's display correction automatically.
        It greys it out but still you can see it is switched. To revert to Gamma 2.2 you will have to close 3ds Max and open again.
        Also if you are using network rendering it is better to use V-Ray's color management for now.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Avladimir. I have just one more question. I have basecolor in sRGB but its in exr so its linear. Should I set for those textures in VrayBitmap RGB primaries: sRGB primaries and Color space transfer function: None? Because now I know when I have standard basecolor in png I should set transfer function to sRGB, but now I am using exr.

Comment

Working...
          X