Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3dsmax +vray AR workflow - what am i doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dsmax +vray AR workflow - what am i doing wrong?

i've been trying to figure out a workflow from getting a model with Vray mats from 3dsmax to AR

my current workflow is to export as a usdz from 3ds max exporter v0.6.0.3048 with vray configuration > adobe dimension, where i then have to re-texture? > adobe aero

from reading the vray help files it seems as though the usdz file export from max should be packaging the vray materials & textures so i don't need to re-texture in dimension?
    is that correct? am i missing a step somewhere?

any help appreciated!
    when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Hm. Since V-Ray was replaced by the native Adobe Dimension renderer, I presume V-Ray shaders need to go through a delegate. This means V-Ray shaders need to be translated to the native .mdl beforehand to appear. However, judging by the supported features on the Omniverse Connect, mapping isn't one of them. Otherwise, I will investigate further and write back.
    Last edited by hermit.crab; 12-02-2024, 10:21 AM.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Based on the supported imported materials in Adobe Dimension, although the conversion limitations, what I said earlier seems to be a way to go.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

thanks for looking into it.
        hopefully i'll get chance to give that a go in the next few days. i'll report back with any success / failure.

Comment

had chance to do some quick testing.
          the simple vray materials were translated using omniverse exporter, however any materials using .tx textures were not translated.
          also having some issues with the scale of the files on import into dimension, and real world map scale inconsistencies which require further investigation.

looking promising though!

Comment

i've done a bit more testing and managed to get a result!

turns out omniverse exporter was the key

couple of issues -
            - had to translate any .tx files to jpeg and re-load
            - unfortunately i'm getting an error when using vraybitmap so have had to switch to standard bitmaps and therefore lose the triplanertex for randomised texture tiling.
            - when using real world map scale i'm not able to fix the map scale properly when bringing objects into dimension, so have had to resort to UVW mapping any objects previously using real world mapping
            - have to collapse/edit poly or un-instance all objects prior to export

unfortunately i can't share the project as it's under strict NDA but if i get time i'll export another model
            Last edited by s0real; 16-02-2024, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X