Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadersbox parallax OSL extremely slow

Hi,

I'm trying to use Shadersbox parallax OSL shader but for some reason is extremely slow to render (in bucket mode). For example without shader renders are averaging about 10 min, with Shadersbox texture jump to 65 min
    Even rendering just a parallax plane without any lighting it takes 1min. Normally textures of that size would render in 1-2 seconds
    I'm on win 10, dual Dell CPU 7910, 192Mb ram, Vray 6.1.2
    Any help would be appreciated
    Z

To my knowledge there are issues when using earlier windows (10) and max (<2020) versions, with OSL maps.
    I use Shadersbox, WParallax and Evermotion OSL's and when a lot of maps have to be rendered (like 20+ in a multisubobject material) processor usage drops down to 10-20%. Whether you render Progressive, Bucket, Lightmaps, Brute Force and/or Irradiance maps. Also amount of memory makes no difference.
    I think (not sure) with latest Max version this is solved. Otherwise you have to use less maps, or for stills render the OSL-planes first and camera map the results, or for animations use the mapped boxes that are provided with some of OSL collections.

Just a note: I haven't tried making single OSL-map materials and map like 30-40 of them to seperate objects. maybe this results in faster rendering!
    Last edited by trick; 19-02-2024, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting. Could archive your scene and send it for review? You can do that here or through the support contact form. If you choose the contact form, please add a link to this thread for better tracking.
      Please share your 3ds Max version.
      Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello Vladimir, I've created a ticket and attached some files for testing

Comment

Thanks for you quick replies guys.
          It looks like win10 and 3ds max 2020 combination is the problem. I noticed that it used only 3 cpu cores out of 40 on my machine. There are some post about conflict with a security patch on max which actually causes it. Will check and report back if solution is found.
          vladimir Krastev, sorry, can't send a scene. We are under a non-disclosure agreement but it can be easily reproduce just with Shaderbox's planes

Comment

sorry, can't send a scene. We are under a non-disclosure agreement but it can be easily reproduce just with Shaderbox's planes
            I got a scene on the ticket but sadly without the essential assets that I need for the test. I am afraid I can not help much if I don't have the complete scene.
            I would also like to inform you and assure you that all scenes that we receive trough the ticketing system are kept strictly confidential and in a safe place. Such scenes are kept for trouble shooting purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
              I got a scene on the ticket but sadly without the essential assets that I need for the test....
              For thorough testing you would need a multisubobject material with at least 20 osl shaders and the accompanying original hires textures, and then make sure you make an object with at least 20 planes that have different matids. Rendering just a few planes, even with the multisubobject material with the 20+ shaders still renders fast. Only after a large amount of different AND visible shaders, the processor usage drops substantially!
              Currently I am not able to send the complete collection, but if nobody else can, I will send them over beginning of march! But I'm afraid the only solution is as I said in my previous post.

Comment

Any progress on finding a solution for this?

Comment

Hi, there are no issues with your scene on my end. No slow downs or anything. I tested V-Ray CPU production render and IPR. I am using V-Ray 6.2 with 3ds Max 2024.2,

Comment

I thought this problem was investigated for the lower (esp.max2020) Max-versions. Evidently Max2024/Vray6.2 does not show this behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                    X