Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render very Large images - Vray 6.2 - Max 2024

Hi

I need to render out an image that is 100.000 x 50.000 px. Either on my work station or maybe even in Chaos Cloud. As I understand I need to uncheck the Memory frame buffer to save some memory and then set the resolution in Vray and not "get resolution from Max". The problem is that I can only get 50.000 x 30.000 as max. It can be that that is enough, but why can I not use higher resolution here?
    I was thinking of render out in regions and assembly after, but not totally sure how to proceed to do this! Chaos doc says something about Very Large Images but they don't talk anything about how high I can go and why can I not get higher than 50.000 x 30.000
    Anyone?

Br
    Harald Martinoff

First of all - those numbers are absurd. Second, you can bypass the limitation through MaxScript (although it will not show in the UI) like so:
    Code:
    renderers.current.output_width= <value>
    renderers.current.output_height=<value>
    Or you can export a .vrscene and manually edit the resolution or use the -imgWidth and -imgHeight tags before rendering.
    You probably already found our docs page about the matter, but here is another thread that discusses the topic.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Gotta agree, that resolution is crazy! Are you printing a billboard at 500 dpi?!
      Dean Punchard > Head of CGI at HUB

Comment

They want to print a "wall" for a fair at 600 dpi that people are going up close, to look at all the details. I know it is way beyond what should be reasonable, but......

Comment

When it comes to the thread about rendering in regions! As I understand that is not an option when using Cloud, from 3DS Max?

Comment

Advice outside of Vray - Talk to the printers. This sounds like a client who is talking outta their arse. Magazines aren't printed at 600 dpi! I'd bet the printers certainly won't be printing at 600 dpi, more likely 100 dpi, maybe lower.

Comment

Thanks, but I have talked to the print shop and they all want this, and the print shop even recommend it for this job (but of course they can just be following up what the customer want), so I m not sure what to do. I also think I have to use cloud as I can not make my work station be busy for "dayyyys". But then Cloud only reads the 3ds max resolution that is at top for 32.768 x 19.661 and not the top for Vray resolution set at 50.000 x 30.000. I guess I just have to go for this, but the noise threshold down and denoise up

Comment

Good luck!

One alternative would be to render at 50,000px and use something like Topaz AI to upscale to 100,000px

Comment

Originally posted by harald_martinoff View Post
                  They want to print a "wall" for a fair at 600 dpi that people are going up close, to look at all the details. I know it is way beyond what should be reasonable, but......
                  Those people have no idea what they are talking about...
                  In your case it would be better to talk to the guys doing the printing to see what they accept as maximum resolution. I doubt they can handle such files.

EDIT: It seems you already did that. Well, I have no idea. The printshop too, probably.
                  https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Thank you! Yes I have been thinking about the AI way, but as Cloud render see only the 3ds max resolution of maximum 32.768 x 19.661 I have to go for that! Maybe Topaz AI or something similar can still scale it up good
                    Hermit_Crab said: export a .vrscene and manually edit the resolution or use the -imgWidth and -imgHeight tags before rendering.
                    I m not sure how to proceed with this when it comes to Chaos Cloud though

Comment

Deadline the render manager does have a feature called jigsaw. That does cut your render in smaller parts.
                      https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                      Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

I have been doing print jobs when I worked a s graphic designer and I have printed out big wall size banners and things for fairs, but never at this kind of resolution. Often went for 150 DPI or so and that went fine, but this time....... puh. That is why I took contact with print shop to ask if "really.....???" and yes they wanted.... but when all comes to all I think I just go for the Cloud max options (at least for me) at 32.768 x 19.661 and see if I can upscale it!
                        Thanks to all that answers!

Comment

Originally posted by harald_martinoff View Post
                          Hermit_Crab said: export a .vrscene and manually edit the resolution or use the -imgWidth and -imgHeight tags before rendering.
                          I m not sure how to proceed with this when it comes to Chaos Cloud though
                          You can manually submit a .vrscene file, however, ChaosCloud also has a resolution limit of less than what you wish.

Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I read that Vray Cloud now support: "users can now render resolutions larger than 400 Mpx." I never really think so much about these things, just render in HD or 4K or so, but is it correct that an image of 400 Mpx with a aspect ratio of 1.7 is 26.077 px x 15.339 px. Just found a calculator, but I dont know if it is right? Do anyone know more about these things?
                            Br
                            Harald Martinoff

Comment

1 Megapixel = 1000000 pixels. So 400 000 000 pixels in total, so the math is correct.
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                              X