Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set region render before render - VFB - 3DSMax - Vray 6.2 - Max 2024

Hi

I like to render a very large image and then render only a region at the time. Is there a way to define region before I start rendering?
    Say my image is 15.000 px x 15.000 and I want to render it in 5.000 px x 5.000 px regions (9 in all) and the assemble it in Photoshop after.
    When I start rendering my comp crashes and I never manage to get to the point where I can set the region. If I could do this before it would be nice!

Of course this is a memory problem and the only reason to render in region is to save on memory when rendering, but this is also depending on that one is in fact saving the use of memory, when region rendering. If not then it doesn't really matter! Chaos Cloud for Max doesn't support region rendering yet, and it really struggles with images that are up towards 400 Mpx (that is suppose to be limit), but I guess it is many factors in my scene that create memory problems, like displacement and so on!

Do any one have any insight into this?

Br
    Harald

In the 3ds Max Render settings, above the output size, you have Area to render, you can specify a region there. 3ds Max 2024 Help | Common Parameters Rollout (Render Setup Dialog) | Autodesk

The rest of the optimizations are depending on your scene: for instance ForestPack or other scatterers can be optimized with the use of ​camera clipping. 3D displacement can also be lowered on terms of edge length. Haven't tested this but if you're going to render at a high resolution like that, I would suggest raising it quite a bit. For instance if a displacement looks good at 4px on a 4K resolution, but you need 100 times that resolution, than maybe try with a subdiv value that is a 100 times that (someone please correct me if I'm wrong I haven't tried this, but this is how I'm logically thinking about this), or with view dependent off and with a fixed size.

Another thing that might save you some memory is this: Maxscript to disable/enable "Get Resolution from Max" - Chaos Forums

And another thing is conserve memory option in vray render settings. And lost but not least you might want to give this a go too: 3ds Max 2024 Help | Strips Setup Dialog | Autodesk

​​
    Last edited by Vizioen; 25-02-2024, 01:47 PM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Something wrong with the forum here's the rest of my answer:

The rest of the optimizations are depending on your scene: for instance ForestPack or other scatterers can be optimized with the use of ​camera clipping. 3D displacement can also be lowered on terms of edge length. Haven't tested this but if you're going to render at a high resolution like that, I would suggest raising it quite a bit. For instance if a displacement looks good at 4px on a 4K resolution, but you need 100 times that resolution, than maybe try with a subdiv value that is a 100 times that (someone please correct me if I'm wrong I haven't tried this, but this is how I'm logically thinking about this), or with view dependent off and with a fixed size.

Another thing that might save you some memory is this: Maxscript to disable/enable "Get Resolution from Max" - Chaos Forums Also the conserve memory option in vray render settings.

Last but not least you might want to give this a go too: 3ds Max 2024 Help | Strips Setup Dialog | Autodesk​​​
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

You could always make an empty jpg image at 15kx15k and then load that into the vrayVFB. Then set your render region and render. I'm not sure there's any memory savings though since it will still think it's rendering the 15k image. The strips render option from Vizioen might be a better choice.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Thank you for your answers! I was and is a bit lost when it comes to what to use to save time and make it even possible to get a results out. I have split the scene up into different elements and then when ready render assemble it all in photoshop. The problem now is that my main image, with landscape and forest scattered is like 1/6 of the way and 24 hours into rendering. I will stop it and try to follow your advices for another go!

Comment

Working...
          X