Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irradiance map deprecation

Hello,

As most of you have noticed, Irradiance map is slowly going towards complete removal from V-Ray. It's complicated to use and most of the new things in V-Ray are not compatible with it (and there will be more in the future).

The purpose of this thread is to see if anyone still uses it in V-Ray 6+ actively and most importantly - why.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

I don't use it "actively" but have used it for animations with a "mulltframe incremental" saved map as it's very fast. There used to also be the use "camera path" (or whatever it was called) for the light cache that when paired with the IR multiframe map meant I could pre-calc the entire lighting for the animation, saving a lot of time. Granted this was only for a fully static scene with nothing animated except the camera and wasn't the most precise solution but it was a huge timesaver. That said I can see how deprecating it does make sense, I'll just plan accordingly for the next animation.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I've not used it in years to be honest. CPUs are a lot faster nowadays and it's been liberating not to deal with it and all the problems it causes.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 05-03-2024, 10:35 AM.
      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

In my case I dont use it, some features like Lightmix are not compatible, yes you can transfer the info to the scene but its not really an optimal solution, you really need to understand what every setting does in order to really take advantage of it, and int deppends entirely on the scene.
        For what I have read in some posts and other forums, some users still use it only for Animations
        Last edited by ChuckRT; 05-03-2024, 02:08 PM.
        Carlos Rodriguez
        RTstudio​
        Tutorials​

Comment

I use it probably 25% of the time for my projects. I believe it's still a lot faster than BF in certain cases.

Edit: Ah. Maybe only 15% of the time. But it's always in emergency cases.
          Last edited by Pixelcon; 06-03-2024, 04:21 AM.
          James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
          Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Like previously mentioned: not using it anymore for stills, since you win so much time in setup and quality by using BF over the loss in rendering time. But for every animation, especially previews for clients and also in simple (and long) technical animations, multiframe incremental IM is still used, and any alternative just takes way too long ( compared to BF/LC) to get sharp noisefree animations. Especially the simple animations with lots of unicolor areas suffer too much from noise which is extra annoying compared to detailed textured scenes. So there should be an alternative for this.
            Last edited by trick; 06-03-2024, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I don't personally use it anymore unless I have to, but I know many people who still do especially for fly through Animation where only the camera is moving.
              How will removing it affect old scenes?can we still access it through maxscript?
              -------------------------------------------------------------
              Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
              Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

Have not been using IR maps in the last ten years.
                https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by M.Max View Post
                  I don't personally use it anymore unless I have to, but I know many people who still do especially for fly through Animation where only the camera is moving.
                  How will removing it affect old scenes?can we still access it through maxscript?
                  The next step is to hide it for new scenes. You will still be able to render old scenes with Irradiance Map or set it through MaxScript.

Of course it will be very useful if we have scenes where BF+LC is obviously slower than IM+LC so we can try to optimize something if possible.

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by matanov View Post

The next step is to hide it for new scenes. You will still be able to render old scenes with Irradiance Map or set it through MaxScript.

Of course it will be very useful if we have scenes where BF+LC is obviously slower than IM+LC so we can try to optimize something if possible.
                    I'm curious to know how much of a pain it is for Chaos to keep it. Not suggesting its removal needs to be justified; just geinuinely curious about how the 'sausage is made'
                    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Keeping it will only result in more work for the support as new tech is incompatible with it. On the other side there is the tedious setup in a world where most of the times the default settings are good enough.

Technically, we don't want to invest resources that can be put into something useful.

Peter Matanov
                      Chaos

Comment

Working...
                      X