3DS MAX VS Vanatge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DS MAX VS Vanatge

Has anyone replaced V-Ray for 3DS MAX with Vantage? Some of my renderings can take 3-4 hours using V-Ray for 3DS MAX, and with Vanatge, it is 3-4 Minutes, but the quality isn't there. I don't think my clients will notice much difference, but I sure do. Some of the Vanatge stuff I see is really good, so maybe I am missing something.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I haven't replaced it fully, nor do I think I will. Vantage still struggles at the scale of our general scenes and the complexity of them (think NBA/NHL arenas) and I can't get our IT to sign off on expensive upgrades for GPU's. Vantage is also the stand-alone version of Vray so not everything from Max is 100% compatible, though they are continually working on getting it seamless. For me, Vantage is great to use in conjunction with Vray for look development and exploration.

Comment

Well but I don't think it's really possible to abandon Vray as, if I'm not in trouble, in Vantage isn't possible to create and modify materials...so I think that that a Vray plugin (3dsmax or something else) is always needed...until you're a creator...if you're just a viewer of a project, probably you can.
      Am I wrong? Something has changed?

Comment

Doesn't make much business sense to allow vray/max to be phased out of the workflow entirely.
        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

I guess I meant for actually rendering your scene wherever it was created.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

As impressive as it is Vantage is still a tool for previz. As long as I need to adjust my VRay GPU shaders (sheen to falloff and thin-walled translucency to 2-sided mtl mostly) I will just wait for VRay GPU to do the rendering.
            If the output is archviz animation, a simple one, let say good looking D5 animation - then Vantage is definitely ready to hit that market (although it is quite pricey solution for some compared to lets say max/arnold + Twinmotion/D5)
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

I do mainly stills. If I modify my scene a little to work in Vantage, my render times are minutes instead of hours. However, the quality isn't as good, but I don't think my clients would notice. I did a series of 10 houses, which came down to the line, so I rendered the last few in Vantage. The client didn't notice anything different, so I ran with it.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
              X