VFB -> 8-bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB -> 8-bit

Probably a weird question, but is there any way to convert what is displayed in the VFB to 8-bit via a layer (and not via display correction)?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of LUTs that only seem to work on 8-bit images unfortunately and it's a bit of a hassle to bring a render into PS to see the LUT's effect...
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

There's no way of doing that; you can view the pixel values in 8-bit though (rollout at the bottom, next to the pixel values). Mind if you send the LUT so we can troubleshoot?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by hermit.crab View Post
      There's no way of doing that; you can view the pixel values in 8-bit though (rollout at the bottom, next to the pixel values). Mind if you send the LUT so we can troubleshoot?
      I would love it if you could take a look. support@chaos.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post

I would love it if you could take a look. support@chaos.com?
        Or the contact form.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
          Probably a weird question, but is there any way to convert what is displayed in the VFB to 8-bit via a layer (and not via display correction)?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of LUTs that only seem to work on 8-bit images unfortunately and it's a bit of a hassle to bring a render into PS to see the LUT's effect...
          it's not the bit depth but certain colour space and encoding (like log) combination that is expected by every lut. what is your lut made for?
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post

it's not the bit depth but certain colour space and encoding (like log) combination that is expected by every lut. what is your lut made for?
            I had hoped you'd chime in. I have tried (I think) every combination of settings to no avail.
            It's mimicing the RAW->JPG conversion that happens in camera on a fuji x100v (and once that is successful a GFX too).
            I am making it specifically for the Vray vfb.

It's been an extremely convoluted process thus far.

Comment

this is what I found:
              Microsoft Word - F-Log2_DataSheet_Ver.1.0E.doc (fujifilm-x.com)

looks like BT.2020 colour space and F-log2 encoding. is this what you need for your lut?
              Marcin Piotrowski
              youtube

Comment

this is what I found:
                Microsoft Word - F-Log2_DataSheet_Ver.1.0E.doc (fujifilm-x.com)

looks like BT.2020 colour space and F-log2 encoding. is this what you need for your lut?
                Despite this already being beyond me, this isn't quite what I'm after. I don't believe there's any resources out there that are for what I'm trying to achieve.

Fuji has a bunch of film simulations and I'm attempting to replicate these. The film simulations are only applied in-camera as the raw is converted into a JPG meaning the results are only available in 8-bit.
                I have taken series of photographs of colour charts and calculated the difference between these and reference values and have ended up with a LUT via several pieces of shitty software which don't really allow any control over colour spaces or encoding.

They seem to work perfectly in photos in 8-bit, not not in a 32-bit color space or in the Vray vfb. Happy to share what I have with you in case you're curious to try and solve my problem

Comment

so the luts you created require you to find Fuji ODT (output device transform), recreate it in frame buffer (or with ocio).

can you output one of the log encodings from your camera? it would be much easier as it is known starting point (fuji log or log2).
                  Marcin Piotrowski
                  youtube

Comment

or maybe you can just measure the difference between „normal” output and fujii log.
                    might be enough.
                    Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

or maybe you can just measure the difference between „normal” output and fujii log.
                      might be enough.
                      If I have measured the difference between the refernce values specified by the manufacturer of the color chart. and the output from the camera, this should work (as it does in 8 bit in photoshop). I suppose I could try and make a profile that gets the VFB output to match my starting point... I fear that won't work as the whole 32-bit -> 8-bit mismatch is going to happen again.

Comment

it would be:
                        raw render >> curves adjustement (most likely, or just lut if fuji log does not reach above 13.5 float) to encode into correct log >> lut (that would consist of acescg to BT.2020 conversion and the "fuji film look".

this is how to make precise curves in VFB:
                        https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...76#post1203476
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

it would be:
                          raw render >> curves adjustement (most likely, or just lut if fuji log does not reach above 13.5 float) to encode into correct log >> lut (that would consist of acescg to BT.2020 conversion and the "fuji film look".

this is how to make precise curves in VFB:
                          https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...76#post1203476
                          I'm afraid I understand close to nothing of what you've written.

Edit: Ok I am making progress. Thanks for helping to spark some ideas on what the issue might be.
                          Last edited by Pixelcon; 09-04-2024, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Aleksandar, you can ignore my mail to support for now

Comment

Edit: Duplicate post. What's up with the forums atm? Really slow and lots of errors when trying to post?
                              Last edited by Pixelcon; 09-04-2024, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X