Sped up IPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sped up IPR

For a long time we have experienced some intermittent performance issues with Threadripper systems (IPR running slowly, rendering in the BG bringing the entire system to a crawl, etc), and this has been documented by lots of people. On a 59xx series I just saw a massive improvement from installing the latest AMD chipset drivers. So far running very smoothly. We shall see in the coming days if this stuff is finally cleared up. I mean a 80Gig ABC explosion still slows things down quite a bit, but it's nothing like it was before. Hope this helps somebody else.

https://www.amd.com/en/support
    Last edited by Joelaff; 10-04-2024, 09:06 AM.

Thank you!!
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

If does seem better, right? Still much better than before here. You can still choke IPR with giant scenes, but generally the responsiveness is significantly improved.

Hard to measure scientifically, without rolling back and going through the exact same steps before and after.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
        If does seem better, right? Still much better than before here. You can still choke IPR with giant scenes, but generally the responsiveness is significantly improved.

Hard to measure scientifically, without rolling back and going through the exact same steps before and after.
        No idea. I've become a little disappointed at how slow IPR seems in vray compared to other packages but whether that's hardware, software, or settings, I don't know.

Either way I would never have updated my drivers if you hadn't brought it up
        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

IPR is only usable in very select cases in my opinion.

This for me is a turn off:

- Slower UI / responsivness when working
          - It refreshes almost every click I do, although I already reported this, for instance: activating a different material or map in material editor refreshes it, nothing changed why do you need to refresh
          - The material editor itself doesn't update anymore in some cases
          - It's still not stable enough for me to trust it
          - My scenes are too huge, with lots of Forest Packs and Railclones. If I want to use IPR for a lighting scenario, I have to turn off more than half my scene to make it at least a bit manageable / responsive.

As for updating AMD drivers, as I had problems which turned out to be a forest pack bug, most the things are updated and it never really helped with better IPR speed, or I never noticed at least.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
          X