Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

same old license problem - n'est ce pas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same old license problem - n'est ce pas?

I have read through some threads on license issues - mostly seem to be about connecting a remote computer to a vray license server. My problem is simpler in that i am not trying to connect remotely. I have 3 computers which can successfully do network rendering with Vray. However, when I transfer my Autodesk Viz license from 1 machine to another, I cannot use Vray as it says all licenses are busy. I have typed in the V-ray license server number exactly as it appears on my 'everyday' computer & i also tried copying over the *.ini files for the VRFClient & VRFLServer - but no luck ??
    Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Firewalls? what ya got?

Comment

Firewall came with my microsoft MN-700 wireless router using 128 bit WEP. The wireless router also acts as a hub for my network cables. Sorry, im sot sure what info I should be providing. Network knowledge is '0' because typically I just plug the stuff in & it works without me doing anything!
      Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Comment

Microsoft are making routers... WTF.. mmm that cant be good..

Anyway, well i was more leaning towards software firewalls on the computers themselves, but assuming you have none then thats not the problem as the firewall on your router only affects traffic thats external to internal not internal to internal.
        If you "do" have any software firewalls installed on the computers, try disabling them.

Check the licence server and make sure that the last entry is a close/logout of your computer. And if you havnt already, try restarting the licence server. (not the computer... well actually that may not be a bad idea)

Find the IP address of the computer with the licence server in it and use that in the vray auth window. Ahh just re-read your post and it seems like you have already done that. It should be a 192.168.*.* or a 10.0.*.* address (the * could be anything)

Once you know the IP of the machine with the licence server on it, peform a simple PING test from the machine that you are trying to use and ping the licence machines ip address and see if you get a respoonse.

Comment

really getting into basics here (sorry) but......how do I shut down the license server? Cant find it under msconfig in the services listed. My Server IP starts with 64 & ends in 21. The PORT is 30303. Software firewalls are all 'off'.
          Ive seen the Ping-thing done before but cant remember how you do that. Is it perhaps because my IP address does not start with 192 ?

Comment

hehe thats cool, well the licence server is a little icon down the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Its a black square with a faint yellow vray logo and a yellow L.
            Double click on it and hit terminate, then go back into your max directoy and double click on vrlserver.exe (on the licence server machine) this will start it up again.
            Odd that your server IP starts with 64, thats not a very common way to set things up. Although it should work ok.
            Are the IP's of your other machines similar?

Ok try this. From the machine you want to use vray on
            Goto the start menu then to run, type in CMD and hit enter.
            Now type in ping and then the ip address of your server.. i.e. ping 192.168.0.1
            And you should get 4 responses.

After that go back to the server and ,
            Goto the start menu then to run, type in CMD and hit enter.
            then type in ipconfig
            and double check what the IP address is there.

Comment

hmmmnnn - im going to go through your suggestions - but I have never had VRLserver running on my machine (not to my knowledge) & ive certainly never had it in my taskbar. I just ran it now for the first time.

Comment

when i try the ipconfig on my main computer i get a different IP address (192.168 etc) I also tried the ping from the render slave and it seemed to go fine.

Comment

ok, find out what the address of the licence server machine is and put that into the vray auth.

mmmm well one of your machine should have the vrlserver running on it. Wouldnt be able to use vray otherwise.

All your machines shuld have a 192 address, so i think you just have the wrong IP in the vray auth window.

Comment

I tried the new IP address on both computers, tried opening & closing the vrlserver - but it still wont work.

Comment

hmm ok...just let me get a few things straight.

all your machines have a 192.168.*.* address includnig the machine that has the vray licence server on it.
                      All your machines can ping each other using the 192 ip addresses.
                      And you have triwd putting the vray licence server machine's IP address into the vray auth dialog box on your machine and it doesnt work.

have you tried putting in the machine name?
                      On the server, if you right click on My Computer and choose properties and then click on the computer name tab and then make note of the computers name and put that into the vray auth box.

Also open up the vrlserver again and make sure it says Licence in Use and then has some stuff in there. (at the bottom of the window) If thats empty then im not sure how you use vray at all unless vrlserver is running on another computer.

Comment

all is as you state. machines have the 192.168.* addresses. Pinging works fine (i dont get any error messages, & I get the 4 responses) Tried server IP address into auth dialog & also tried computer name. vrlserver shows my license in use (super long number) and it also seems to recognise when I try to run vray on my laptop - I can see my laptop IP address appearing in the vrlserver (new connection......closed connection). Still no joy !

Comment

ok cool.
                          So its the laptop that you are trying to connect to the licence server...ok.

So you see the connection open then close in vrlserver and vray on the laptop says all licences in use?

Without changing anything are you able to try on another computer?

Comment

aha - the other computer is playing ball - seems to be cool. just the laptop behaving badly i think

Comment

forgot to ask - can vrlserver be installed as a service (should it be ?) as id never seen it before ?

Comment

Working...
                              X