.vrimg...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .vrimg...?

This may be a silly question, but what use does saving out a VRay raw image have? Can any program open this file? Can VRay?
    Austin Watts
    Render Media

Blurring more than 20,000 cars since May, 2001.

You can reuse vray image files in max by loading them with the normal bitmap map type. It even works in scanline! I discovered this yesterday.

Vray .img is a floating point format like EXR, which apparently is something max can't do on its own (hence why vray .img is written out through the vray fb). Currently, nothing else other than Max with Vray installed supports Vray image files.

Comment

Doesn't it also contain all of the selected G-buffer data? Can you extract that data somehow? I loaded one into a map slot but didn't notice any extra bitmap options.
      Austin Watts
      Render Media

Comment

Originally posted by Austin
        Doesn't it also contain all of the selected G-buffer data? Can you extract that data somehow? I loaded one into a map slot but didn't notice any extra bitmap options.
        Yes it does contain extra gbuffer data. How to extract that, I don't know. Perhaps we'll get a new vray map type that will give access to this, or perhaps some sort of utility to convert vray images to openexr or rpf.

I imagine, vray img will be the output of choice from vray standalone.

Comment

Ah, I forgot all about the standalone version.

I just noticed that your avatar has the top part of the VRay logo in it...That's pretty sneaky!
          Austin Watts
          Render Media

Comment

Thanks for noticing

I replaced all the files on my server, so had deleted my previous avatar, decided to use a vray render like many people here and so grabbed a chunk of the image I put in the backgrounds thread.

Comment

Working...
            X