3GB Swith Problem w/ Max 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3GB Swith Problem w/ Max 8

I loaded Max 8 last weekend and I am having a few problems that may or may not be related, any ideas? -

1. After working for about a week with Max 8 installed, my computer is starting to have trouble booting in the 3GB Switch mode - this error comes up before the windows start up screen and the computer freezes:

Lsass.exe-System error The end point format is invalid

2. When I submit a job to backburner, the manager is not accepting the job and a long list of nonsensical errors start showing up in the manager screen and the submit fails.

Any help would be great, I'm at a loss.
    Thanks.

ps. The max 8 is an upgrade from max 7 and I just reinstalled vray and chose the max 8 paths for the new vray setup (ie. root directory and plugin folder). Not that this should matter, but you never know.

you know I think my coworker has gotten the same error, as well as other strange stuff using the /3gb switch. He frankly doesn't use it much.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I had a similar issue with the /3GB switch and have since stoped using it for the time being, I prob wont bother with it in the near future and just upgrade to XP 64 when it gets a little more stable.

-dave
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

I was worried about that. That sort of makes using Light Cache in Vray impossible for an animation due to memory problems, which is really too bad considering the amount of time it saves.

Comment

Ive had no real issues with using LC and no /3gb switch... on very large scenes, although the scenes were heavily populated with vray proxies

-dave
          Cheers,
          -dave
          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

in the BIOS under memory setting look for remaping option-make it enable
            -some drivers (especialy video) require big continuous memory space that windows can't allocate after applying 3GB switch.

Comment

using the 3gig switch in max7 made my viewport refresh mess up so i never use it although i still keep it as a boot option (too lazy to remove it)

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

@Elf: is that on a Box with PCI-X ? We had problems with the 3GB switch after upgrading to Dual Xeons on Intelboards with 7800GTX. What solved the problem for us was having the /3GB switch as usual and add the /USERVA switch. This switch can be used to finetune. Basically it is the exact amount in mb. So in our case what i did was take 3GB (3072) and subtract the amount of vidcard ram (256 in our case). So that made /3GB /USERVA=2816

That made all fine here (scenes that didnt render without 3gb rendered and viewport problems (performance was worse then software) were gone)

You might wanna give it a shot

Thorsten

Comment

Sorry for the ignorant question, but what is this 3 GB swith that everyone talks about?

Comment

It´s a boot-option in winXP to change the way Windows reserves and allocates memory. Useful usually from 2GB+ RAM as it enables more memory to be used for user-processes rather then beeing reserved for system-exclusive use.

Thorsten

Comment

So can anyone else confirm issues with Max8 and 3GB Switch? We use the 3GB switch a lot and will hold off the upgrade to Max8 if there are problems.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket
                      ----------------------------------->
                      http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Originally posted by tricky
                        So can anyone else confirm issues with Max8 and 3GB Switch? We use the 3GB switch a lot and will hold off the upgrade to Max8 if there are problems.
                        Looks like it is an individual problem. There are people succesfully installed switch with max 8.
                        --Muzzy--

Comment

Since I have 2 GB of RAM I should use the switch? How do I go about this?

Comment

Working...
                          X