Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

secondary multiplier at 1 or lower? what's your setting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• secondary multiplier at 1 or lower? what's your setting?

I am still a bit confused about this setting. When using lightcache, using 1 for first and secondary multiplier, the image always tends to have a washed out and/or flat look. And altough Vlado has said 1/1 is physically accurate, I still think that lowering the sec. multiplier can correct for the fact that surfaces are never completely flat and smooth and most materials absorb some light. After doing some experiments, I found a setting of 0.7 to 0.8 to work quite well. I'd like to know others opinion on this...please post your settings here.
    You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Hi Gijs

I usually leave both primary and secondary bounce multipliers at the default value 1 while I'm building a scene and doing test renders. Then tweak them at end of a project if I want more contrast in the final image. I don't often have to use settings of over 1.1 for primary or below 0.9 for secondary though.

I suppose it depends on the kind of work you do, I tend to do commercial interiors (large spaces) and some product viz. For interiors I find the default about right but I agree with you for simple objects lit with the skylight (like your avatar), you need to reduce the secondary multiplier further to get some depth into the shadows.

Dan
    Dan Brew

Comment

I also use 0.8 to 0.9, especially with lightcache. For interiors with a bit darker materials I also use 1.0. I never go higher than 1, instead I increase light strength.
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Same here as Flipside.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated
          You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

I used to drop the secondary multiplier to .75 to .85 because I understood that this more accurately represented the decay of light bounces. But after reading that 1.0 for secondary is most physically accurate I changed to that. But then I rarely use light cache.

I now prefer to use color map dark/bright multipliers to control contrast.
            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I used to down the secondary to .75 .80 for interiors. in exterior .95 .90
              http://guca.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

Working...
              X