win2k and 3gb switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2k and 3gb switch

I'm building a new X2 4400 system with 4gb of ram. Is installing win2k a waste of time? Getting mixed information searching the web. I would upgrade to XP but I'd rather not since I spent all my money on hardware. But if it's necessary better to know now before installing win2k. Thanks.
    "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
    -Mitch Hedberg

no such thing was the 3gig switch in win2k
    upgrade to xp if its what you want. and after you turn off all the "pretty" crap XP puts in their program its on that bad. i personally havent had and blue screen of death or anything serious in xp

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

>>no such thing was the 3gig switch in win2k

That would explain why I can't find a boot.ini. So will win2k work with 4gb? My funds are pretty strapped right now and on top of that my mobo doesn't have an AGP slot so I have to get a new video card too. Damn$
      -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

if its just a render slave you dont need a big video card. and there is a boot.ini for win2k. however the 3gig switch just doesnt work with win 2k even if you put the line in the boot.ini

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

Thanks for the info. So to be clear win2k will not work with 4gb? I have to get XP? And this will be my workstation so the vid has do be good. Has anyone softquadroed a recent PCI Express GeForce?
          -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Ok this is getting confusing. I'm going to go ahead with XP and use the 3gb switch. Question now is 32bit or 64bit version? From what I've read the 32bit version supports up to 3gb of ram, correct? If that's the case I'll swap dimms with my slave machine and run 3gb instead of 4. This will in turn give by slave a memory boost which might be the best solution overall. And I'm not seeing xp64 for sale anywhere. Anyone?
            -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

no only winxp 64 will work with 4gb of memory.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

There is an Asus and one other brand that have AGP based socket939 boards.

You might want to look into that to save yourself some money.

Comment

Thanks. That's all I need to know. Percy that avatar cracks me up every time I see it!
                  -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i wonder if max would work on something like windows data server. it can take tonnes of ram althoughas soon as they go 64bit then wheeee. win xp64 will be flying for me

Comment

Working...
                    X