No announcement yet.

What is the future of VRay and 64 bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the future of VRay and 64 bits?

Right now, I am contemplating the move to Windows XP 64 with dual processor dual-core Xeons, and I am wondering where VRay stands with this.

3DS Max 8 is not 64 bit capable yet, right?

If that is so, can VRay take advantage of 64bit yet? Or only the standalone version of VRay?

If only the standalone version, how and when can we use that with Max?

I am just trying to decide if my investment is worth it. We have to go with Dells here, so Xeon is my only 64bit choice.

shane.

last comment... I would kill for VRay for Rhino too...

Max 8 is not 64bit compatable at this point in time. A friend of mine at discreet/autodesk/alias told me that there will be a point release for 64bit in the near future.
    I have a 64bit machine with xp64 and I was able to run max 7.5 but i had a couple of problems so i had to revert back to 32bit.

We have 64bit render nodes which are fantastic! they are able to handle a lot more data than any 32bit machine we have in the office and the 64bit machine were a third of the price too

Vray at the moment is only coded for 32bit but it still works fine in 64bit.

Its a shame you have to use dell as the AMD 64bit machine are far superior than the Intels.

If you want some more info on 64bit drop me an email, Im more than happy to help out
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

At present, only the standalone version of V-Ray can run in native 64-bits, but when 3dsmax is ported to run in native 64-bit mode, V-Ray will support that too.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

And if I recall correctly, there is not a standalone version of VRay for 3DS Max yet, right? Only the integrated version?

Comment

I cant wait for that Vlado!
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

thats right shane
            Chris Jackson
            Shiftmedia
            www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

i remember the 1st version of vray external available to th public. hehehe that was a while back and im sure it would make vlado cringe hehe

---------------------------------------------------
              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

yeah, it wasnt the cleanest of UI's!!
                But it was great news when it was announced!! im looking forward to it!

Da Elf- did you ever use the original external for anything?
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

i just tried doing tests with it. but i never actually did anything production worthy since it didnt really do much

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

dont go intel

the opterons just slay intel well and truly. no competition.
                    dual HT intel 3.2 xeon 6gb ram vs dual opteron 275 6gb ram . AMD is almost twice as fast on actual scenes, not tests, real live data. its twice as fast everywhere. this is is on win x64 on scenes that use 2gb of ram to load and 3gb to render. (you cant do that on winxp).

im so totally sold on the amd, makes intel look like it belongs in a mac!

on x64
                    its awesome, you just model what you want and render, it just renders everything, fabulous i tell you.

Comment

Our office has a dual opteron dual core Armari with 8GB of memory and it is seriously fast. We bought 2 Dells with dual xeons earlier this year, which we now feel pretty stupid about... The Armari is very nearly twice as fast.
                      www.meetup.com/3DLondon

Comment

Originally posted by sjmoir
                        Our office has a dual opteron dual core Armari with 8GB of memory and it is seriously fast. We bought 2 Dells with dual xeons earlier this year, which we now feel pretty stupid about... The Armari is very nearly twice as fast.
                        lol try buying 20 dual xeons for a renderfarm...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                        X