Metal library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal library

I've just started rebuilding my metal materials and thought I would get some of your opinions along the way. I'll be happy to post the final results.

This batch is mostly the polished and glossy versions. I wanted to get the basics done before fiddling with brushed and aged versions. I didn't use reflection fall-off for this version. Only tinted reflections

Hmmm... well I'm not sure how much difference this makes, but I desaturated the reflective tint using a fresnel fall-off on the colored metals.

Note:
    BRDF - Polished metals use Phong and glossy metals use Ward.

Comment

Looks great... aged copper would be green.

Comment

It depends.........
        =:-/
        Laurent

Comment

Yes. "Aged" is very subjective. Too many variable to take into consideration. By Aged I mean it's not brand new and has less reflection. Like copper handrails that have had lots of sweaty palms adding just a little tarnish. I guess I was intending these to be used mostly for interior/new construction. I wanted these to be simple fire and forget materials that didn't need mapping coordinates.

I suppose I'll need to add another category for Patina. Really aged and weathered exterior metals. Then I'll have to start using texture maps or maybe procedurals.

Comment

an oxyded version.... If you understand my french/english
            =:-/
            Laurent

Comment

Looks quite nice, but wouldn't you better use a more neutral environment in order to judge the right color?
              You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

hey, you forgot platinum

awesome work.

Comment

and methral (a LOTR or D&D fan might want to correct my spelling)

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by priad
                    OK yeah... that is good... another section... BTW in English you would say "Oxidized"

Comment

in English english it would be oxidised :P

Comment

I thought this was interesting. A comparison of different BRDF's and glossiness values for the glossy metal versions.

Same glossiness value, different BRDF

Different glossiness value, different BRDF. This produces a similar fuzz factor between the different BRDF's.

Originally I was going to use Ward for the glossy metals because it produces a nice satin type finish, but then I remembered this post on the use of BRDF's. So I guess I'll switch my shaders and use Phong for the glossy and Ward for the polished. Here are some Phong samples with different glossiness values. I think I'll go with .5, not quite as focused as .7 and not as fuzzy as .4.

Comment

Originally posted by priad
                          In my French classes back in high school, we used to call it "franglais."

on topic -- this is a great way to set up a material library. I might steal the idea and start something similar for our office!

Shaun
                          ShaunDon

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
                            and methral (a LOTR or D&D fan might want to correct my spelling)
                            mithril

Comment

Originally posted by cpnichols
                              Looks great... aged copper would be green.
                              bronze too (bronze = copper + tin) , old bronze is patinated.
                              In teapots we trust.

Comment

Working...
                              X