noisy vray lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy vray lights

I'm trying to make the change from 1.09 to the new build. The issue I have is that the Vray lights seem to be much noisier. I've isolated it to the shadows. You have to turn up the samples a lot to get rid of the noise which really slows things down. I like the area shadows that these lights produce but they are much slower in the new releases. Does anyone have an idea on what I can do?

I'm talking about the planer type area light.

i have also noticed that the current lights are much more noiser.
    Infact a scene of mine takes the same time if not more to render on this build than it did on the previous build.. and this is using a computer thats over 2x faster than my previous machines.

I tried subdivs at like 200 and high AA and made a difference but render times soared.
    I find used Adaptive subdivision smooths out the noise from the lights.. not much chop if you ask me.

Comment

Yeah I hear you, I've gotten real used to plopping in Vray area lights to light up my scene. They look great. I found adaptive sub works pretty well along with upping the subdivs but it's slowing me down to much. I found one thing that works pretty good in VIZ 2006 though. Use a MAX photometric area light with Vray shadows and adjust the area sampling to gain speed. I turned mine down to 2 with Vray subdivs set to 6 and they look great and are very fast. You can easily increase the area sample to improve them with out much of a speed hit. And they don't seem to have the same noise issues.

Like I said above. I'd switch to VIZ 2006 w 1.46 right now if I could get my DR working.

Comment

Ah ok cool, that would work in max as well right? like its nothing specific to viz '06?
        Might give it a try.

I wonder if anyone else is having this problem.. it certainly wasnt something i had experienced in the past.

Vlado, if you read this could you comment? Is the greatly increased noise just part of the deal or a problem thats been widely overlooked?

Comment

I don't think it's a VIZ only feature. Mabye this just something that know one noticed and can easily be fixed. I sure hope so.

Comment

I sure hope so.

I will knock up some comparission renders tonight if i get a chance.. this one see is so noisy it has stump everyone in its path.. LOL

Comment

Working...
            X