No announcement yet.

Vray versus Mental Ray Interior scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well put vlado! so as you have explained using something like a directional light and photon mapping in mr is not going to get rid of the lighleaks and splotches?
    I kind of dont see the purpose of using photon maps at all then as thats what their purpose is?..
    On a side note as I have said earlier many other problems will arise with mental ray:
    1 - can mental ray do incremental irmap and then use saved irmap solution for animation? not as far as I know.
    2 - scene can render fast, but as soon as you turn on motion blur, that would be bye bye nelly.
    3 - add displacement and you can compare mental ray with maxwell on render times.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I have a question about

(*) Since photon-mapped GI in mental ray does not work with skylight, you cannot use it in this scene. Using it will not produce a correct image, as it will be lacking a major component in the lighting. Apparently, this seems to be a common mistake when using mental ray. To make up for the missing lighting, you have to use area lights at the windows, but settings them up in mental ray is complicated and I didn't do that.
      You mean the the skylight light type right? I thought MR supported that.
      "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dman3d
        I have a question about

(*) Since photon-mapped GI in mental ray does not work with skylight, you cannot use it in this scene. Using it will not produce a correct image, as it will be lacking a major component in the lighting. Apparently, this seems to be a common mistake when using mental ray. To make up for the missing lighting, you have to use area lights at the windows, but settings them up in mental ray is complicated and I didn't do that.
        You mean the the skylight light type right? I thought MR supported that.
        Not when using GI alone. In order to get the skylight working, you need to enable FG in mental ray. And if you need multiple bounces of skylight, you'd need multiple FG bounces too.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X