optimize a model...vray proxy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optimize a model...vray proxy???

This is sort of a follow up to the urgent post, finally go working the other file but with extremly slow times. But that is done now...but there is always a lesson to be learned.

I have again another interior office shot with herman miller resolve workstations, have the workstation model in meshes on AutoCAD (from HM directly). So my question is what is the best way to optimize the 3d model, import model into Max, then turn into editable meshes, apply material and have them ready to merge into interior model? Or have everything in Autocad (workstation as blocks) then link to Max, then convert workstations into vrameshes and vray proxy them out???

And to be honest I am not sure how to do any of those two correctly, what is the best way to make a 3d model from cad to max so it merges as one piece in Max? And better yet, how does one go about to vray proxy stuff in and out?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Im not familiar with autocad so i can only tell you what happens when the model is brough into max.
    1 - make sure your topology is correct, and you wont have any bad faces.
    2 - texture your model, create shaders for it etc.
    3 - attach all your meshes into one mesh which will be vray proxy. This will create a multisubmat.
    4 - export proxy and create proxy in viewport, each object will record its id, then you can apply your multisubobject onto it and be done with it.
    Then you can copy proxy as many times as you want.
    Enjoy
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It mighn't be the easiest suggestion but a good idea might be to remodel a lot of the chair yourself - it won't be a cad accurate file but since max is only for visualisation it isn't an issue. You'll get a far cleaner layout and a much lower poly count. I'm not sure how comfortable you are with industrial modelling or whether it's even feasible with the time you have but it might turn out to be quicker in the long run - there's often a massive amount of detail in cad files and as Dmitri said the topology can be pretty un-optimised for raytracing.

Comment

As Dmitry said
        Natty
        http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

First of all thanks for the response, second I am going to sound dumb but I am not that versital in max as I would like (working at it), I have always model in cad (all architectural work) but recently I have started to move more inot max for modeling but it is a slow and painfull procedure, dont get me wrong I like that I am finally learning how to use max more than just to link my work and render away.

So Dimitry if you can, can you elaborate a bit more on your great setp by step to vray proxie, thanks!

1. How do I check for this?
          2. Got this one.
          3. how to attach all meshes into one?
          4. So do I proxy out first then apply material???

Originally posted by Morbid Angel
          Im not familiar with autocad so i can only tell you what happens when the model is brough into max.
          1 - make sure your topology is correct, and you wont have any bad faces.
          2 - texture your model, create shaders for it etc.
          3 - attach all your meshes into one mesh which will be vray proxy. This will create a multisubmat.
          4 - export proxy and create proxy in viewport, each object will record its id, then you can apply your multisubobject onto it and be done with it.
          Then you can copy proxy as many times as you want.
          Enjoy
          Also since I have you guys on the line I just had a couple of more novice questions, but hey if I dont ask I will never learn...

1. How can I get the vray material to show in the material editor slots?
          2. How do I get a glossy or shiny look in a vray material without having any reflection?

Well thanks for all the help!!!

Comment

1 - looke here http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=14300

3- you can attach meshes by selecting one of any objects and in editable poly find an attach button or editable mesh attach list button select all your objects that you would like to attach and attach them.
            4 - then select your attached model which now will be one model, it will also create a multisubmaterial so you can load that into your mat editor via pick selected picker or load selected material.
            Then you can right click on your model and find in a quad menu option to export vray mesh, or you can type in script lister doVrayMeshExport() that will show a menu where you can select output path of your vrmesh and also check to create proxy in viewport. Make sure you save before hand.

to show vray mats in mat editor you need to select vray as your mat editor render, its a second option below the first where you select renderers.
            to get glossy look you can turn on reflection in vray mat then go to options and uncheck trace reflections, this way only glossy highlite will be shown, you must have some light present for this to work.
            enjoy.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

ahhh so thats how its done. This is the step i was missing:

I thought If i had various elements grouped according to material, made a submaterial with a different mat id for each that this would be enough (hey it partially works)

Ive got a large development with over 100 houses which are identicle but with 5 different colour schemes. SO, if i make 1 proxy i can COPY this proxy to 1 of each of the colour schemes, and then instance each identical house from there. So basically it will still have to load the same house 5 times, with a different submat applied to each...better than 100+ though eh. I also have 100's of vraymesh trees in the scene now which render perfectly.

I am amased that this scene which would have 100's of millions of polygons without vray proxy renders so quickly and without error. the trees and bushes are all treepro (all mesh based) with possibly 10 types instanced throughout the project many times.

Comment

Working...
              X