Almost good grass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost good grass...

OK, finally got grass to behave more like real grass, not quit there yet but getting closer. Posted is the image of the grass as i have it now, I think is good but i want to see how I can get it finer, more think blades of grass, upclose now they lock thick. So posted below are also all my settings for it:grass texture, uvmapping, vray displacement settings, bitmaps and displacement maps.

Well thanks in advance, oh one more thing, I tried to double the size of the disp map but max did not wanted to use it, it was running out of memory??? Rendering time is not crucial, I can have an image render for about 8 to 12 hours straight, I have access to a good render farm, machine are not top of the line but they have 2.8ghz Pentium d with 3.5 gigs of ram, so i think sort of decent.

- I would use a vray mat instead of a standard one: probably faster.
    - try to scale down the uvw mapping as well as the displacement amount.
    see if that helps.

Comment

Try using the 3d displacement - it's more memory efficient than the 2d one and you can get higher quality. The edge length determines how long the edges can be in pixel measurements and the subdivisions control the amount of times an edge can become subdivided.

To be honest if you want blades of grass, look at somethig like vray fur or a hair render like ornatrix, hairfx or shave built in to max 8. The vray displacement will make grass that looks short and mossy but not blades.

Here's a tut that uses the scatter object for grass - http://www.suurland.com/tut_grass/tutorial_grass_r3.htm

Comment

make sure you give the sides of your ground mesh a different material so that the blades dont cut horizontally into the path.

Also, vray materials will be better also because it will give the blades more definition as they currectly receive the vray shadows (i think). I stick to 2D mapping without any problem for LARGE developments such as this.

I think the grass looks good but search the forum and you will see some even better grass and people who have posted the mats. now your challenge is to make the grass less perfect and add some dead patches and variation

Comment

Working...
        X