Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray benchmark results summary (performance cost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i know the test was in the other thread. I was just making a point that 95% of people used 1.47.03 so if you had used 1.48.03 your results would not be comparable.

Comment

Tony,

i am also using the same mobo as yours, you of course have this software in windows called AI turbo something. i tried to OC from there, the system always freeze though... i am using x2 4400+ A8N-E + 2gig Ram.... is there any thread showing how to OC properly? thanks
      Dominique Laksmana

Comment

If your going to overclock ... please... please.. do it the proper way thru the bios!!!
        Software OC'ing is pure crap as far as im concerned.

Look around the net there are plenty of sites to get you up and running

Comment

I agree with DaForce. OC thru the bios.

I don't know of a site with specifics for this MB but I can tell you that all I have done for the 3800's is change the FSB in bios to 220 from 200 and I get a very stable render node. I didn't have to change anything else. It will go higher, but I have to increase the cpu voltage which makes it run hotter. I built a server box and have all my computers in the same box so heat is an issue for me. At 220 fsb they run only 2 degrees warmer then at stock, which is 35 degrees.

One thing to remember, when you overclock a dual processor by 200 mhz you actually gain 400 mhz of rendering power per node. So it can make a difference in render times. I have 4 3800's oc'd right now so I gain 1600 mhz of render speed. Or pretty close to that. Not to bad for no extra cost or space.

I don't OC the 4200, I guess I could, but I multitask with it quite a bit and don't want to risk problems.

I'm trying to convince the company I work for now to buy me 5 more 3800's for my farm or 3 dual dual core 265's. I would prefer the 265's. Man would that be sweet! They are very close to saying yes!

Comment

We have nearly identical 4200s and 4400s - down to ram manufacturer.

Sometimes the 4200 is faster than the 4400 - no reason.

Maybe it is cooler on one side of the office?
            www.studio2a.co

Comment

I was playing around with my x2 3800+ oc'd it to 2.2 Ghz runs very stable but a little warm (47 degrees at full load) rendered the benchmark in 5,53 mins. Not bad for a cpu I paid $279 US for including MB. MB is a cheapo ECS K8 via but it seems to work pretty well.
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

jujubee,
                on 1.47.03 im getting 5.54secs.
                i was getting about the same on a 4400,but i dont have it any more.....

Comment

update

Comment

render time 3mn:30s. Dual opteron 270. I don't know why it says 1gig on there because I have 2 gig installed. original proc price 961euros.

Comment

thanks. I will update the board soon.

You should try to overclock a litle : you could probably render in less than 3min...

Comment

I´m about to by me a small farm. been looking at the x2 3800+ but sins opteron x2 265 prices dropped I will probably by two or three of those. Mainly because I See half the cost of OS. RAM, box (well maybe not box). I also see maintenance as a pain in the a** . I rather administrate three dual x2 boxes than 6 single x2`s.
                        Daniel Westlund

Comment

I dont know what made me look through this old thread...i think it was linked from the other benchmark thread.

I honestly think that including overclocked benchmarks just confuses people when they are trying to decide what processor to go for. Fantastic that you can overclock more than some other person but i would rather just know the stock speeds as I would personally never consider overclocking for serious work anyway.

Would be great if someone could (and knows how to do it) a full table of stock results including many of the peoples render times that were excluded from the table at the start of the thread (like my dual Xeon 2.8 result)

We need to see how the dual Xeon 5160's compare to dual opterons and the new core duo2 range. One example of why we need to exclude overclocked results was the fact that we went and bought new chips based on someones benchmark which turned out to be 1 min faster than the stock chip can do (3:30 compared to 4:30) and the fact that it had been overclocked was not mentioned which made this chip look much better than it really is.

anyway very frustrating to try and figure out results which are dominated by people who think its an overclocking competition. I can totally understand this being accepted for home computers or gaming machines, but for serious work stability, heat generated and maximising the processor life is more important than maximising speed IMHO. Basically the overclocked results are pretty much useless for a lot of us who arnt interested in who is the M4astah Ov3rcl0ckah (although i know its fun

Comment

hmm, well people post to these threads because the want to, not because there is some duty to those that are buying new systems. It's up to you to filter the data correctly for your own use.

btw, the 5160's kick the optis butts.
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

Hello guys...

I quite fancy this scene and would like to use it as a basis for a similar one. Does someone keep the max file ?
                              I use max 9...

personal [at] amitov.com

Thanks
                              Last edited by And0; 20-01-2010, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X