Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose of Blur GI

Hi,

I was wondering what the purpode is of the blur gi variable, why is it set to 8 when selecting medium animation and why is it set to 0 when selecting medium settings. This difference totally screwed my animation, i have light leeking throughout the entire animation that wasn't there when test rendering on different settings. I have always used this preset and it worked just fine until the new build.

I really can't see why it is there, using it only results in a very bad render.

Can someone explain ?

Erik
    A full render queu is a thing of beauty !

Pretty much to get rid of dirty looking gi samples - it just smooths over the lot so it can be pretty inaccurate. It seems most people don't bother using it.

Comment

ya same here. using the blur GI just gives massive light leaks, dont use it.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

it's more for animated objects than a room
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Oke,

I am clear on the don't use it part. Will this be removed in future versions, cause if you forget to set it to zero your render will still be messed up.

Thanks,

Erik

Comment

why would they remove it? it has uses. Setting the default to 0 might help you though.
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

i'd also throw a wish for a default of 0. any sort of concavely overlapping objects (think corner) is just asking for leaks with anything else.
              Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

imo using irmap for animation is a suicide.
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hey Morbid,

Why is IR suicide? Isn't it a good method when moving around a subject and pre-calculating the IR so one gets good sample coverage and avoids the swimming artifacts from poor samples?
                  rpc212
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

dont get me wrong, irmap for interrior fly through is great. but with cheracter animation or any other animations where objects move etc its not. It cant be precalculated, it needs more samples to reduce flickering and has to be rendered every frame plus gi precision become lost etc etc. with qmc you just get noise.
                    Dmitry Vinnik
                    Silhouette Images Inc.
                    ShowReel:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Yup - We always use qmc + lc and kmight look at dirt mapping stuff in future...

Comment

Wont the rendertimes go way up when using qmc ?
                        I would like to get rid of the gi flickering in animations so if the rendertimes don't go up to much this would be a good solution for us.

Erik

Comment

ive had great results before in the past with QMC http://pages.infinit.net/elfpro/tower1.jpg is done with QMC/QMC

---------------------------------------------------
                          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I encountered Blur GI for the first time the other day and it screwed me up and wasted a whole day (set to go overnight.) It spiked rendertimes as well.

These presets need to be reevaluated and that set to 0. I also think they should correlate (dynamically changing values) to render size if possible.

I believe Morbid is 100% right with QMC/QMC, but 95% of the users don't have a renderfarm at their disposal or time on their hands. Nor do they do anything beyond a moving camera...
                            LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                            HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                            Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Juju and others, I highly recomend you develop some presets that are specific to your needs and load those when you start a scene. There is no way to get the defaults to work best for everyone, what works well for you likely does not work well for others. Also don't forget Vlado was working on a setup wizard for those who don't want to take the time to set things up for themselves.
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Working...
                              X