Proxy paths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy paths

I've just noticed something that I need some input on.

I recently took the time to conver all of my Onyx Trees to Proxy objects saved into individual MAX files for a more simplified merging process. It all seems to work pretty well except for the fact that the path to the mesh file is not as dynamic as other file types.

I learned this the hard way when I changed the name of the folders where I placed my vrmesh files, and then tried to merge in a Proxy Object that was referencing the orphaned location.

But it got me to thinking. What happens when I need to exchange files with a client with mapping conventions different from mine?

Isn't there a way to set up search paths like with bitmaps?

I hope this makes sense.
    - Darrin -

Hi
    If you intend to send the vray Proxy's and max files to the client(and to retain correct paths) then you should use max's Archieve to bring all elements into one place.
    But if you start renaming folders then you will run into problems, as you would with your maps.

in short, dont change the folder names after you have saved !
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I understand the limitations. But even changing folder locations with bitmaps, at least a user has one global setting to change to correct the issue. With Vray Proxies, each object has a static parameter that cannot be corrected without manually changing each object (which are invisible in the viewport if the file is not found).

I know that having the vrmesh files in the same directory as the max file will also allow MAX to find the files, but that defeats the purpose of central storage doesn't it.

Maybe I phrased my initial comment wrong. I guess I was looking for others that might agree that this is not a very flexible method and seems easy to modify in future builds.

Thanks nonetheless for the reply.
      - Darrin -

Comment

If the proxy file cannot be found in the location specified in the interface, V-Ray will look for it in the normal 3dsmax Bitmaps/Photometric files. So, if you ensure that the proxies are in a place listed in the Bitmap paths, there is no problem loading them.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

In the mean time and in a quite pointless fashion I've written a wee widget the mass replace paths.

Instructions and the file are here:

http://www.joconnell.com/view_stuff.php?view=7

Comment

nifty tool, thanks
            www.short-cuts.de

Comment

Working...
            X