Walls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walls...

This is going to sound pretty dumb, but the main thing that seems to give my interior renders that "CG" look is the walls. Ive been messing around with this problem for a while now, and just cant put my finger on it. I know this is a pretty broad question, but any tips would be helpfull. Ive scoured this forum and havent been able to find anything specific.

Any advice would be great. I can post some examples and settings if needed.

Regards,
    Mike
    http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Can we see examples?
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Yeah, without seeing any examples it would be hard to understand what you mean.

But, as for a quick idea that improves the 'non-cg' look, bevel all the wall corners to create a smooth curve that can catch highlights.

Comment

Hi Mmikee,

You could try giving your walls a slight glossy reflection.

Try a reflection colour of 40% grey, glossiness 0.6, fresnel on with 12 subdivs as a starting point.

Dan
        Dan Brew

Comment

I am assuming you refer to the realism of the lighting on the walls. In my experience, to achieve realistic results in the lighting for an interior you have to be willing to wait for VRay to do it's magic, or be extremely proficient with fill-lighting.
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

Bumps! It's all in the bump map. No wall is perfectly flat. Most surfaces have scratches and dents etc. Also, no surface is perfectly diffuse. It usually helps to add a small amount of wide hilight. You can turn off the actual reflections for speed and keep just the hilights.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I do always use some kind of bump, and a slight reflection. I am thinking that I should paint the wall bump maps in PS. Mabey the uniformity of the bump is to noticable. I have an example here...

I know that I need to lower the GI on the sills, but something about the walls is just not right. I used pretty high settings on the lighting. Any way, thanks for the responce.

BTW, still find it amazing that the developers actually read and post on this forum (or any forum for that matter)
              http://mikebracken.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                You can turn off the actual reflections for speed and keep just the hilights.
                hum...how can i manage to keep the highlights and turn off the reflections?

thanx
                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                nuno@ene-digital.com
                00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis
                  Originally posted by vlado
                  You can turn off the actual reflections for speed and keep just the hilights.
                  hum...how can i manage to keep the highlights and turn off the reflections?

thanx
                  Uncheck "Trace Reflections" in the Options part of the vraymat.
                  vertex wrangler

Comment

will do!
                    thanks a million!
                    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                    nuno@ene-digital.com
                    00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                    X