Dumb question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question.

Sorry to be so dumb, but I'm trying out Vray materials for the first time.

I just want a plain coloured material with a bit os specular on it without reflections, like you can with Std Max materials. How the hell do I do that?

1/ Use a reflection color or any kind of map.

2/ Then set the highligh glossy less than 1.0, the closer it is to 0.0 the more glossy the highlight will be.

3/ In the option rollout - check off the trace reflection box.

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Nice to know about that trace reflections check...it always seems to be the simplest things I miss.
      Ben Steinert
      pb2ae.com

Comment

Glossy reflections

I thought it was the nearer the number is to 1 the glossier the reflections are ? - nice one about turning off raytraced reflections. That is going to make my life so much simplier - it is true there are no dumb questions.

Comment

Re: Glossy reflections

Originally posted by Adam H. Stewart
          I thought it was the nearer the number is to 1 the glossier the reflections are ? - nice one about turning off raytraced reflections. That is going to make my life so much simplier - it is true there are no dumb questions.
          the cg definition differs from the real world definition, in fact they are almost opposites.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

All you ever wanted to know about gloss and more http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/t...easurement.htm
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Candelero
              1/ Use a reflection color or any kind of map.

2/ Then set the highligh glossy less than 1.0, the closer it is to 0.0 the more glossy the highlight will be.

3/ In the option rollout - check off the trace reflection box.
              This should be unchecked or turned off right?

Best regards,
              nikki Candelero

Comment

Originally posted by arobbert
                This should be unchecked or turned off right?
                Yes.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Some explanation more:

As you know the <highlight> is a traced reflected area on the object, where actually the light source (light) is seen, or in other words - the highlight is a reflection of light itself. That's why your material needs to have a reflection value different than 0. Having the traced reflection check-box off, will tell V-Ray to consider only those highlight areas and not actually doing real reflections.

Best regards,
                  nikki Candelero
                  .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Working...
                  X