"Growing" wall, buildings...how???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Growing" wall, buildings...how???

I think almost everyone has seen that very cool effect in arch animations of a growing wall or a growing city or buildings. My question is how does one start to get that effect, is it done in video editing with premier, after effetcs, combustion or is it done in max directly.

And the second question is can someone point me in the right direction to start learing that great effect.

Thanks!!!

try "grow" plugin from digimation.

best regards
    themaxxer
    Pixelschmiede GmbH
    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

you can do it crudely by using the slice modifer, animate the buildings penetrating your ground plane or you could scale buildings upwards from 0 - 100%

el sporto

Comment

i usually make my buildings using extruded splines for the walls so all i need to do is animate the amount of extrude on the walls to make them grow

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Guys thanks for all the great answers, will try the slice modifier and the extrude wall animation.

By the way how can one post an animation in here, if it looks decent I will post my attempt when finished.

Comment

you need to upload it somewhere so that the people here can download it.
            The forum itself has no hosting abilities.

There are plenty of free hosts out thare.. rapidshare.de , megaupload.com, turboupload.com. Or your own if you have it

Comment

slice and GI dont go very well together in animation.
              it flickers a lot until you use very high render settings.
              Reflect, repent and reboot.
              Order shall return.

Comment

For anything where you have an animated object rather than a camera flying around a static scene you're better off using quasi monte carlo for your primary bounce and lc for the secondary. It'll give you a grainy render rather than a flickery render and it's a lot easier to get something to an acceptable level of grain than remove irradiance map flicker.

Comment

You can also animate the near and far clippings planes in the camera settings...though you are limited to the camera view for the slicing.
                  -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

What about good 'ol morph targets?

Comment

If you're on MAX8 subscription, there are a couple of good ProBoolean tutorials on Autodesk's website. The ProCutter tut shows an example of this.
                      - Darrin -

Comment

Working...
                      X