Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting for lower render times, revisited

Hello,

I was reading through the forum as, like everybody, I'm looking for a faster way to render animations. I would like to show my problem a little close (sorry, I'm going for a bit long explanation).
    I'm doing the first animation on VRAY, it is a building, quite big model, with lot of glass (reflections) and plants, etc. The shot is a 250 frame flythrough.
    In the first test, I calculated the irmap every 10 frames with these settings:
    min/max -4, -1
    HSsph sub 50
    Inetrp samples 20
    Clr. thresh 0.35
    Delone triang
    density-based

I used the option "store with irmap" for the 2 lights that I have (one sphere and one dome). The irmap was 47 Mb.

Then, I rendered the scene with QMC sampler as AA0.85, noise 0.002, min samples 15 .

Each frame took around 10 minutes (very good!!) but the result was not good, the shadows for small details worked realy bad.

My thaughts were that the problem was the "store with irmap". So, I recalculated the irmap without including lights. But now, the render times are too big, more than 2 hours per frame. I had the subd. for the lights in 30 and lowered to 15 and easy settings for QMC sample. (0.9, 005, 10). The render time decreased to 1 hour 10 min but the image is getting noisy, no as good I expected to obtain with VRAY.

I have two frames to show you but I don't
    know how

Well, any help/thaughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Manuel[/img]

if u do not include the lights in the irmap calculation vray calculates it during render time...that s why u get high rendertimes....

if u r interested i can try to give u a hand...just send it over and we ll see...
    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
    nuno@ene-digital.com
    00351 917593145

Comment

ohh... and if u wanna post pictures upload them in photobucket.com and copy the url and paste it here....
      Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
      nuno@ene-digital.com
      00351 917593145

Comment

Thanks ene.xis but I cannot send the max file. Could you share some tips regarding settings?
        Here they are the frames, nostorelight.jpg and storelight.jpg.

Manuel

Comment

then...
          maybe u could post some pictures of ur settings?
          i think ur light subd r too high!
          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
          nuno@ene-digital.com
          00351 917593145

Comment

When using "store with irmap" for lights set the subs to 50+, 75 is pretty good.
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Also I probably would avoid Delone Triangulation, I believe its quite slow.

Comment

Daforce beat me to the punch - Delone Triangles should be removed imo. That screwed up my first animation I had done.
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

too many IRR passes.
                  Try -5, -3 and see if you notice a difference.

What about raycasters, ref levels, GI settings (trees).... etc.

A lot more to talk about here than just light sub-d and IRR maps.
                  www.studio2a.co

Comment

Thanks for the answers everybody, I had no internet connection over the weekend so I couldn't follow the treat. I'll give a try to the suggestions you gave me and I'll keep you informed.
                    For "Meanadam", I'm not sure what parameters you are referring to. Please, could you be more specific to find them and I tell you what are the settings that I have?

Manuel

Comment

Reading again through the post I realize that some advices tell about how to quicker calculate the irmap. But really my problem is with render frame times because the irmap was calculated in one night (12 hours or so), I think it's quite reasonable.
                      Anyway, I'll try those things, the one about use subd 75 for "store with irradiance map" seduce me the most because the render time is really low when the engine doesn't have to calculate the shadows of the lights in render pass.

Thanks,
                      Manuel

Comment

Just to keep you posted as promised

I tried to go for 80 HSph subvd with the two lights stored with irrmap, Least Squares fit for interp. type and -5, -3 for the basic parameters. The irrmap was calculated in 10min per frame. The render was 2min50sec for a frame without motion blur (very good!) and 40min for the blurred one. Here is noblur.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the quality/render time rate. Thank you folks to do my live at work easy! :P

The only thing I can notice is that the shadows with "lights stored with irrmap" are not as intense as I would like to. They lost intensity compare with the other frames. Any thaughts?

Thanks,
                        Manuel

Comment

maybe lower the color thresh. a bit.
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

Working...
                          X