Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your highest output resolution

Hi,

I've got a client that is interested in High Res output for print and doing mostly HD output never really had the call to do this.

So the question is how high a resolution still have you been able to render with vray using GI?

If you could include specs like

1. resolution
    2. number of systems used in rendering
    3. average specs of those machines
    4. render time
    5. any problems you ran into.
    6. any other info you think is important

thanks,

Vance Miller
    eyeballnyc

6600 x 4400, rendered w/ ten, 3 Ghz dual computers using backburner and strips. Rendered a fairly complex interior scene in 3 hours. Lots of glossy reflections. Problem was generating the GI map in the first place. Tried using DR but it crashed Viz everytime. Ended up calculating the GI map on one machine, then BB for final render. Sure wish DR could handle large complex models.

Craig

Comment

I used Genuine Fractals on an old job along with V-Ray for a project requiring a 14'x40' rendering to go on a trailer and it was output at actual size at 72dpi on a Dual Xeon 2.8 with 2gb ram. I did have some images online but not atm, I can post some later if your curious of the final product...

Ill try to dig up more info on the job tonight.

-dave
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Syclone1,

are you saying you output resolution was 12,000 x 35,000 lines. If so thats huge! was it a scene using GI?

thanks,

Vance

Comment

Mine was i think 14400 x 9600 or thereabouts.. rendered in crops and stitched back together in photoshop
          Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

I thought MAX had a 32k x 32k limit. Does VRay overcome that?
            -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

we render 6000px in backburner strips almost daily, no problems.

the largest we ever did i believe was in the 12000 pixel range
              Needs more cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by dellis
                I thought MAX had a 32k x 32k limit. Does VRay overcome that?
                yep, found that out when I did a billboard 30k x 30k, the client wanted it even bigger!! that was max7.
                rendered the IMap smaller and with a medium preset, then over the farm with strips.

Comment

Originally posted by vance3d
                  Syclone1,

are you saying you output resolution was 12,000 x 35,000 lines. If so thats huge! was it a scene using GI?

thanks,

Vance
                  Yea the initial render was massive, I didnt get a chance to check the original files last night but Ill try to check tonight and see what my output was, I know it was huge but I did use that genuine fractals plugin to increase the size and it had worked verry well.

-dave
                  Cheers,
                  -dave
                  ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

The viewing distance of the final print will make a huge difference - If you render for a4 to be printed in a magazine you need 300dpi since the viewer will probably look at the print from around 12 - 18 inches away. Anything less than 300 will ruin the contiuous tone illusion of the print and you'll see the cmyk dots. The larger your final print is though, the further away people will stand from it to view it - an a0 print doesnt need to be rendered at 300 dpi to look perfect since the viewer is too far away to make out the dots - it's quite likely the printer will print the image at a much lower dpi anyway. Personally I do a lot of billboard stuff and the highest I normally go is around 6000 pixels in the largest dimension. The highest I ever rendered was around 10000 pixels for the milk commercials print stuff purely on request of the client.

Another good point is if you use irradiance maps for the primary GI you can use a gi map calculated from a half-res render and it'll still look great rendered at full res.

Comment

Is anyone rendering using the Vrimg format for large images and then extracting the channels? Is it possible to render to vrimg using render strips?
                      My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                      Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                      Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

I don't think you can use the vrimg format with render strips since it is only accessible through vfb dialogue and does not appear in max's native image formats in the main output dialogue.

I think vrimg is mainly for use with DR.

anybody using DR? it seems like almost everyone is doing render strips.

V Miller

Comment

OK here is the info, scenes were rendered with I believe the 1.09 build of vray in June 2004, actual rendered size out of max was 24000x9610 using the V-Ray VFB then adjusted in photoshop with the Genuine Fractals plugin to kick the size up to 14'x40'. Below are the finished renderings after printing and mounting on the sales trailers...

-dave
                          Cheers,
                          -dave

Comment

really cool idea Dave.
                            I wondered if i could do this with a shed 300m x 150m , i would need to employ a small country of computers to render that, hehehe
                            DON'T LET SCHOOL INTERFERE WITH YOUR EDUCATION / www.ds4arch.com /

Comment

Originally posted by greg04
                              really cool idea Dave.
                              I wondered if i could do this with a shed 300m x 150m , i would need to employ a small country of computers to render that, hehehe
                              You prob could. I had found out about the Fractals plugin from Suurland and it is shockingly good at increasing the sizes of images while maintaining an acceptable quality. I beleve there is a full functioning demo that you can try but I have found it to be well worth the money.

Looks like Lizzardtech sold GF but I managed to track it down and its avaliable here, http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2 and there is a 30 day demo by the looks of it.

-dave
                              Cheers,
                              -dave

Comment

Working...
                              X