Storing Vray light with irmap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Vray light with irmap

I am on a crazy deadline - doing HD stuff 1920 x 1080 for a dvd menu. Big title just opened ( can't say exactly which one ) anyway I am doing a cityscape and have lots of shiny stuff and GI. I am using a single Vray light to provide illumination, pre-calculating the irmap,( lightcache for secondary bounce) calculating every 5 frame and them shooting it off to the farm.
    My question is - should I check the - store with irmap option in the vray light ? - what exactly does this do ?

Thanks as always.

It bakes the shadows from your area light into the ir map so it will speed things up a lot. That said you'll need to turn up the subdivs of the light to get it to store a decent quality shadow.

Comment

Rendertime

So at rendertime, can I turn off the shadows ? Should I leave the save with irmap checked ? I have done some small test renders using the irmap I created and I have a strange grain in the animation. The grain does not flicker it appears to move with the camera. Does this look or sound like a familiar problem to anyone

http://h1.ripway.com/Adam_Stewart/Fo...s100_134_1.mov

Thanks as always for your paitent help.

Comment

Re: Rendertime

Originally posted by Adam H. Stewart
        So at rendertime, can I turn off the shadows ? Should I leave the save with irmap checked ? I have done some small test renders using the irmap I created and I have a strange grain in the animation. The grain does not flicker it appears to move with the camera. Does this look or sound like a familiar problem to anyone
        Yes you could turn off shadows, but the quality of the shadow will depend on the quality of your GI settings. If you can afford the render time I prefer to keep the lights and shadows.

The grain that doesn't move is normal...I believe the solution is the little checkbox called "Time Independant" on the QMC sampler rollout.

Tim J
        www.seraph3d.com
        Senior Generalist
        Industrial Light & Magic

Environment Creation Tutorial
        Environment Lighting Tutorial

Comment

Thanks a million

Thanks a million. I have used GI in one or two projects, never anything this huge, It is going to be an interesting couple of days - working the weekend - wish me luck.

Thanks again.

Comment

Are the intials of the movie GR?

If you save your lights in the IR map you loose quality but gain time.
            I prefer not to do it that way, but if your short on time it might have to do.

Best of luck

Comment

No but ...

No but I can tell you that Katie Holmes is not in it

Thanks for your help - I am sure it is going to be a hellish weekend we are presenting on Tuesday to the man himself so it is a big helping of stress all round.

Fun Times

Comment

Ahhhh ha.

Well its your mission to have thise finished by the weekend. And you have already accepted it

LOL

Good stuff mate.

Comment

Working...
                X