Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latest render machine

hi guys,

what is the latest dual processor series render machine on the market now?
    we are planning to upgrade our render farm. suggestions are greatly appreciated.

*are dual core opterons considered 2 physical processors?
    *if i reach 10 physical processor limit, do i need another vray license to DR?

/Ryan
    if you find a bug...kill it.

The last I checked, Vray's Distributed Rendering can use up to 10 PC's - not just 10 physical processors. So 10 Dual Core/Quad Core machines should still work for you. If you're doing backburner animation work, you can use any number of PC's you desire with 1 license of Vray. Can someone else verify my comments?

Dave

Comment

Re: latest render machine

Originally posted by Ryan_Chiong
      hi guys,

what is the latest dual processor series render machine on the market now?
      we are planning to upgrade our render farm. suggestions are greatly appreciated.

*are dual core opterons considered 2 physical processors?
      *if i reach 10 physical processor limit, do i need another vray license to DR?

/Ryan
      If you can wait for a couple of month you would be able to buy quad-core Xeons.
      Quad core xeon means : 4x2 (HT) bucket per processor so 8 buckets... x2 processor = 16 bucket

Comment

I think what should rule in the case of a renderfarm should be price - performance ratio only.
        You can already get 16 physical (not logical only) processors for that matter.
        At 81k usd entry price.

Paying a single dual core box around 1k usd (smaller dualcore athlon, 2 gb ram each, crappy videocard, all good quality components), that would make 162 phisical cores (slow as they might be!) for the price of one of those beasts with 16.

I thought it was worth mentioning a factor of 10 in computing power for the same amount of money

Lele.

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
          I think what should rule in the case of a renderfarm should be price - performance ratio only.

Lele.
          We have been buying p4 dual core rack servers for rendering servers. Horse powerer wise they preform in most situations as well as a dual xeon at a much lower price/performance ratio

dell p4 dual core 3.0 4gig ram about $1500 inc ship and tax

dual core xeon do not perform as well as the p4 dual cores right now and are at least half the price..... Can not comment on the AMD side but which I could

Darin

Comment

we just bought 4 dual opteron 265 machines and they kick A$$ , 40% faster then x2 4200 , i think they are the best $$$/perfomance ratio for now...
            http://www.3dvision.co.il

Comment

glicom, could you talk actual clock speeds and number of cores?
              I'm lost in the stupid branding of opterons, they make almost no sense aside from the first number, that is).

It sounds strange to me, honestly, that a dual opteron might be more economic than an X2.
              If only because of the mobos.
              Unless you're pitching an old single core dual proc system with a top of the range actual X2.
              In which case it might work.

But i mentioned SLOW cpus, for x2s
              The 3000 does it for me.
              Especially on the larger scale, saving 100$ on one processor comes up with 2 free cores every ten systems.
              The 4200 is definitely hyped, imo.

Lele

Comment

Originally posted by studioDIM
                You can already get 16 physical (not logical only) processors for that matter.
                At 81k usd entry price.

Paying a single dual core box around 1k usd (smaller dualcore athlon, 2 gb ram each, crappy videocard, all good quality components), that would make 162 phisical cores (slow as they might be!) for the price of one of those beasts with 16.

I thought it was worth mentioning a factor of 10 in computing power for the same amount of money

Lele.
                Well, if you want to talk about performance/price ratio just take a look to my rendering time with 35€ LV XEONS : http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...highlight=cost

Comment

I think quad processors are too much. is there anything better than 280 opteron? just the dual processor dual core line is fine.
                  if you find a bug...kill it.

Comment

sure but most people are not going to put OC'd machines into a work enviroment.

Sure OC'd machines can run for ever, but often they die alot earlier then their "stock" brothers.

all in all, that is some mean times

Comment

N6, what'd be the price/performance for those without overclock?

Surely it wouldn't be SO small to force OCing on everyone.
                      The gap looks SO big compared to evereything else.
                      Only thing is that it's not something i'd buy (ebay) with ease, just now.
                      I'd rather go buy stuff from someone i can bark at in case anything goes wrong...

My bottom line is Mhz are worth nothing (on a single cpu) as with these price ranges (10k for a farm, or something close?) one can buy as many cpu/cores as wished, finding strenght in numbers.

Let's dig this one!

Lele

Comment

In less then a month Intel will release Woodcrest xeons socket 771
                        Look like they will beat Opterons in performance/price ratio.

Comment

In less then a month Intel will release Woodcrest xeons socket 771
                          Look like they will beat Opterons in performance/price ratio.
                          I'm guessing you'd have to take out a second mortgage for those though - Anything with the word Xeon in itmeans you have to pay 150% more then the other guys, no?

Comment

and buy some ear plugs!
                            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                            nuno@ene-digital.com
                            00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis
                              and buy some ear plugs!
                              Actually they should be pretty low voltage and quiet, based on a similar core as the core duos.
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Working...
                              X