Is it LWF or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it LWF or not?

I was just curious if someone more educated in this matter could tell me whether i am doing the right thing here....

I am working on LCD (IBM ThinkVision).
    Ive got a system 1.0 gamma override in max on material input/output as well.
    I am using a 1/1 gamma color mapping...

I am happy with the results.....however i dont know whether this can be called LWF?
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

nop...
    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
    nuno@ene-digital.com
    00351 917593145

Comment

For using Gamma CM, you should have 1/0.4545
      0.4545 = 1 / 2.2 ( div ). That's where that strange number comes from.

Best regards,
      nikki Candelero
      .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
        Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
        Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

yeah....i m quite tired of this....too
          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
          nuno@ene-digital.com
          00351 917593145

Comment

god it guys...thanks for help...ive been making mistakes in the image input...WOW...what a difference now
            teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Can we see both of them ?

Best regards,
              nikki Candelero
              .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

need to sort out my hosting first.....ill post in the afrernoon
                teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by Candelero

Best regards,
                  nikki Candelero
                  In order for Gamma cm 1/0.4545 to work, he will have to calibrate his LCD to 2.2, which, according to Vlado, is not a good idea.
                  Surreal Structures
                  http://surrealstructures.com/blog

Comment

Originally posted by Frances
                    Originally posted by Candelero

Best regards,
                    nikki Candelero
                    In order for Gamma cm 1/0.4545 to work, he will have to calibrate his LCD to 2.2, which, according to Vlado, is not a good idea.
                    Did he say that? I thought he said that it can be difficult. It is the opinion of most (as far as I can discern) that a lcd be calibrated to 2.2 as well as possible.
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                      Did he say that? I thought he said that it can be difficult. It is the opinion of most (as far as I can discern) that a lcd be calibrated to 2.2 as well as possible.
                      http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=15303

Originally posted by Vlado
                      Note that for LCD monitors, things are somewhat different. The LCD output is a lot closer to linear. That means that calibrating an LCD monitor for 2.2 gamma output requires very large modification to the displayed colors. When combined with the fact that some LCD monitors still have less than 24-bit color resolution, it means that lots of color resolution is lost during this transformation. Therefore, it is often better to calibrate an LCD monitor to display linear colors, instead of trying to fit it into the 2.2 gamma framework.
                      Surreal Structures
                      http://surrealstructures.com/blog

Comment

Thanks for the reference, I must have discounted the "often" in absorbing the info, regardless we live in a digital world where 2.2 is the prevailing gamma. The majority of display types work in a 1.8-2.5 gamma space. I have read many forums where photographers have come to the conclusion that although banding can be exentuated in some lcd displays at 2.2, it is the prefered workflow.
                        Eric Boer
                        Dev

Comment

Well LWF will work no matter what your monitor is setup for. It may just not look right.

Also teabag.. there is like a million post and threads around for LWF. Some of them very simple explained.. i.e. not the 2 uber threads.
                          Best to have a quick look thru them before start YET another LWF thread which doesnt need to be.

Comment

you see ...when vlado released his sum-up and then i read all the other stuff on the forum i just got very confused and i thought that in order to work in gamma on LCD i dont have to make many changes.......i was mistaken.....i still have my LCD close to gamma 1.0 but my images are so much full of light...though i have to turn down the lights to somewhere like 0.2 ....

i wish i could show you but i have to find a good hosting....the one i am using is currently broke down www.filexoom.com, well it just does not upload files which are larger....when i go over 200kB

the other ones i used have a bandwidth limit.
                            teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

If you want some temporary hosting.. email me the files and I will put them up for you until your hosting comes back online

Comment

Working...
                              X