No announcement yet.

Is it LWF or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for offer daforce...anyway my hosting is almost sorted now....i have to get back to work now ...ill post the stuff in the afternoon
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

right this is what i was getting before...

and now...

teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

this is just a test scene....uvws arenot mapped correctly
        teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

teabag...ur images arent showing at all...not even ur avatar, instead it asks for a login and a password....and its damn anoying!

www.photobucket.com
          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
          nuno@ene-digital.com
          00351 917593145

Comment

cheers...should be fine now...sorry about that
            teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

2nd one looks right to me.

But then again I dont know what im looking at.

Can i assume they are both LWF image but the 2nd one uses the plugin colorcorrect?

Comment

yes they are both LWF, color correct is not used...

1st: my older workflow...ive used gamma 1.0 for image input...so i was getting good lighting solution but the textures were blown out

2nd: set up according to video tutorial on the forum..in the bitmap loader i just let the images load with system override 2.2

I feel stupid that i have created this post....ive been making mistakes in the image input ...anyway thanks for help daforce!
                teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

I'm using IBM Thinkvision monitors, and I think that for this type of monitor the most right gamma setup is 1.59 (not 2.2... it would be washed out).

So, this is my workflow:

0- I don't have calibrated my LCD with any software (because every calibration would wash out all the Windows interface, that actually look great)

1- Max preferences: gamma 1,59 (I've left bitmap in/out 1.0, I prefer to use colorcorrect depending on the bitmap texture)

2- Color mapping: linear, dark 1,0 - bright 1,0

3- Render with max frame buffer (that show me the right image without need to correct it)

4- Save the images with override 1,0

5- Inside every compositing software I use always linear images (After Effect, Combustion,...) but using a LUT to see (just to see) the right colors

6- At last, for the final output (for example inside premiere) I correct the gamma with some effect (usually to 2.2, but often just to 1.59)

I think my images look correct, on my monitors (during the job) and on tv, as projected.
                  But... reading all the treads about LWF now I'm a little bit confused...

Do you think this workflow is correct for LCD monitors?
                  I've read a Vlado post where he thought that with LCD the best workflow is to leave max gamma to 1,0...

Comment

Ahh I see.. hehe no problem mate, glad you got it all figured out

hmm im pretty sure if you only use 1.59 its not really LWF and it will look wrong on everyone elses monitor.

Comment

2DaForce: Yep....it took me ages though
                      2Daniele_ve....thanks for your tip!! ill have to try it...Vlados post confused me a lot (no offence Vlado) ...i think if it looks ok on your monitor and on everyone elses....and you are happy with the images and so are your clients...then stick to your workflow

...but i am not sure if it is LWF....and to tell you the truth i am quite uncomfortable to discuss it as many people seem to be tired of LWF topics...not me though....i ve just figured it out ))
                      ...anyway post some of your images together with the light setup and rendering parameters and i am sure youll get an answer
                      teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

sorry... sorry... sorry...
                        I really don't want to keep on discussing about an old thread...

Just a very last question:

1) I have only IBM Lcd monitors inside my office, so, during all the production and post-production operations I use a 'special' gamma of 1.59 that seem to have the most near response to a 'normal' CRT monitor
                        (I use this gamma ONLY to see the right look of my images on MY monitors).

2) All my image files are linear (no gamma correction, just as they are... dark 1 - bright 1)

3) Sure, inside post-production software I have to correct the gamma of my images (them would look too dark), so I apply a LUT (1.59), but JUST FOR VISUALISATION, this doesn't change anything.

2) ONLY when I render the very final movie (or image) I apply a gamma of 2.2 if I work for TV, or else, depending on the final output hardware (plasma, projection, etc)

Well, I think that this is LWF...

LWF mean to use non gamma-corrected images during all your workflow (for compositing purpouse, at first), and just apply a gamma curve at the end of your work...
                        Don't you think so?

Comment

Well thats one way to implement LWF.

I see now that you were using 1.59 purely for your own visualisation purposes.. so thats cool

Comment

Working...
                          X