hdri mapping types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hdri mapping types

I have just started using the Dosch Design HDRI catalogue. I am confused as to which type of mapping I should be using in my Vray environment map. They have delivery the following types :

Light probe
    Sperical Map
    Vertical Cross
    Horizontal Cross

Sperical Map looks best when used with Spherical mapping in Vray, the problem is they don't give you all the maps in the all the mapping types. I cannot seem to get the Vertical Cross or Horizontal Cross mapping types to map any sense in Vray. I presume they are designed to be used with the cubic environment setting , but when I use this it creates nasty seems that I can see in the object.

Anybody familiar with the Dosch catalogue or know which mapping types works best with HDRI's ?

Thanks as always.

To input proper hdris, you must understand what form they are coming in at.
    The one below is called angular map in vray hdri, but its really called lightprobe/mirrored ball. That is the term used if you open it in hdr shop. But the thing is that you can convert any hdri type to any other.

For example image below is a vertical cross

if you open it in hdr shop, go to panaramic transformation, you can choose to which form you can convert it.

What I usually do, is convert my hdri from lightprobe/angular to lattitude/longtitude map which can be wrapped as spherical.

Have fun.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Thanks a million

Great info - I just tried creating a box and unwrapping it and I was getting nowhere. The application that came with the dosch collection HDR finish isn't bloody working, I suspected that there would be a conversion tool in there that would save me.
      I'll have to get a copy of HDRI shop - so I can convert them - I always find that spherical mapping works best.

Thanks again - you saved me many hours of pain.

Comment

hdrshop 1 is freeware (http://www.hdrshop.com/) v2 adds a lot of functionality, but aint free anymore

Thorsten

Comment

Great app

I got HDRI shop yesterday - it is a simple yet great app and super fast. I'll have to get a copy of V2 I think it will be worth it. It was so nice to be able to convert the HDRI's from lightprobe - I feel like I am coming out of the dark ages - I should have gotten this years ago. The Spherical mapping worked great with Vray - thanks again.

Comment

I feel like I am coming out of the dark ages
            lol...you kinda look like it too
            Needs more cowbell

Comment

LA is a dangerous place

Yeh LA is a very dangerious place - wouldn't dare leave the apartment without my sunblock and suit of armour

Comment

Originally posted by olitech
                I feel like I am coming out of the dark ages
                lol...you kinda look like it too
                HA-HA
                Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                nuno@ene-digital.com
                00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                X