Best Source Footage format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Source Footage format?

I use a lot of different formats to output to when rendering, depending on the use of the footage; but what format do people generally consider the best to encode to once all post production has been done and you hand the footage over to the editors?

For instance - i might render to an 8-bit .png sequence if i know i'm not going to do any compositing, similarly, i might render to 32-bit .rpf or .exr if a lot of post production changes are necessary. Once i've made all my post production adjustments, what which format should i render to - it's got to be pretty much lossless quality, i.e. data rates above about 16meg / sec and also hold things like aspect ratio's.

We've been using either QuickTime with Animation or codec, or .avi with the HuffyUV codec - anyone else dabbled with this codec?
    Anyone recommend using the DV codec - i've heard this is pretty naf. Previously we've rendered out to a .tga of .tif sequence, but i'd prefer to keep it one file, rather than thousands if possible.

Anyway, just wanted to know people's opinions.

Ta very much.

i remember being told at a post production house in soho that their preferred format was quicktime mjpeg-a or b on maximum quality... however that has to be 6 odd years ago now so im not sure wether there is a better option now....

Comment

i bought footage from artbeats 4 years ago and their material came as quicktime photo-jpg files (95% quality).

i use this format when sending finished movies to clients over the internet.
      i am sure that there are better formats now but so far every client was able to import this format into their editing systems.

never had complaints about picture quality or artifacts.
      Reflect, repent and reboot.
      Order shall return.

Comment

Working...
      X