Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railings model causing problems

Hi

I have noticed is that ordinary railings which are copied extensively throughout a model, cause its navigation and saving/opening to slow down massively. Also, when trying to render a view with these railings, it rockets the ram usage to crashing. When the railings are turned off - its fine.

These are very basic primitives of 12 faces each and copied 5500 times so, nothing exceptional, with a total of approx 70,000 faces. Even when proxied and with a basic vray shader on them.

Has anyone discovered this type of problem before - its driving me insane, I can't render this scene?

N
    www.morphic.tv
    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Are they instances or just copies ? Instances may work much better.

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

If you won't modify your railings, you should try attaching them together in one object (or in a limited number of objects)

imo, 100.000 polys in 1 object is far better than 50.000 in 5000 objects.

After that, you can display the object as a box if you still have display issues.

If that doesn't work, suggest minimalist glass panels railings to your client
      Philippe Steels
      Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

did you used the sweep modifier for the railings?
        Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
        www.shack.de

Comment

Originally posted by jonnybefree
          did you used the sweep modifier for the railings?
          Yep, I forgot to say... Collapse in single object is your friend
          Philippe Steels
          Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Hi, thanks for your replies.

The vast majority of vertical railings were instanced. I have also, collasped the lot to one editable Poly and did not use the sweep modifier. They were then brought into the model as the full geometry and then as proxies - were it crashed in both cases.

I have found that when railings are created in a model it slows down considerably in all areas. Why is that ? Quite possibly a max issue but why should a couple of thousand box primities become so problematic.

I already have a very complex scene so, render times and memory usage is very high but, these bloody railings are tipping it over the edge.

n
            www.morphic.tv
            www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Yep - Max has problems dealing with lots of objects rather than less objects with more polygons - make a copy of your scene and try merging the railings into one object and see if it's better. If so go back to your previous scene and devise a way of making the high poly object in a parametric way so if you need to make tweaks you don't have to do this on a single e poly object.

Comment

Another quick though: (for the railing)

Check out whether the < box > is OK, like not having opened edges, or unwelded vertexes, how many polys(faces) it has, etc.

Best regards,
                nikki Candelero

Comment

The railings were made from box primitives and have had a few editmesh modifiers on them.

Each box has 12 faces.
                  www.morphic.tv
                  www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Can you also confirm on the vertex and edges number, as it can still have 12 faces ( 6 polies ) but more of the rest.

1 box = 8 vertexes
                    1 box = 12 edges

Best regards,
                    nikki Candelero

Comment

1 box = 8 verticies and 12 faces
                      www.morphic.tv
                      www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Infrared digital
                        The railings were made from box primitives and have had a few editmesh modifiers on them.
                        Collapse the modfications, each time you open the file, max "reconstruct" the mesh
                        Philippe Steels
                        Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Very strange, I deleted every other railing - therefore reducing them by half, then created one editable poly object from the ones that were left and it renders.

Thats approx 33,000 faces removed so - no real reason there for it to work or not work. Maybe there is a limit for copied geometry - in this case its somewhere between 33,000 and 66,000 faces, or between 2500 and 5500 objects from the same original object.

None of this makes the faintest amount of sense - think I have cooked part of my brain with this one.

thanks for all your help

n
                          www.morphic.tv
                          www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X