Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precalculated irrmap more stable than single frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precalculated irrmap more stable than single frame?

Hi,
    Every morning when I arrive to work I found a new surprise… This time, I found in some animations I’m doing at the moment that the precalculated every 10th frames irrmap is by far more stable (less flickering) than the same settings calculated per frame. I have to calculate every frame because I have some characters in the scene. The scene is an interior.
    Does that have any sense?

Thanks for the help in these my first steps with VRay.

Manuel

if ur using low settings on ur irmap, than yes i suppose u should expect it....
    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
    nuno@ene-digital.com
    00351 917593145

Comment

Jaysus more duberlin people...

Yes it does - if you are using precalculated maps then the samples that vray uses are locked in space and thus can flicker into different places from frame to frame - whereas if you calculate on the fly vray will vary the positions of it's samples from frame to frame to get the most efficient use out of the samples it's allowed thus causing the flicker. For any kind of animation where objects are moving and not just the camera you're better off using qmc for your first bounce and light cache for the secondary The nice thing about it is that it's reliable. If the grain is low enough in the render you can be guaranteed of having no gi errors - it's a bit more set and forget than irmap are. That said irmap will kill it for speed on camera flythroughs.

Comment

Dubliner by adoption

Then, that put me in a difficult position because render times may go too long.

Manuel

Comment

yeah your other options is a split render - render with precalced irmaps for the environment and then do a second render for the moving bits (characters) with qmc / lc - you might get better results.

Comment

Working...
          X